Spyware Problem?

Hetti 15:26 13 Aug 08

I have full version Superantispyware plus free Adaware on my PC.
I downloaded Spyware Doctor as I thought it was a freeware program (it was not)..... anyway... I ran the scan and it reported 3 infections and high risk item but I had to buy the full version 29.99.to remove them
The strange thing is none of the two programs I already have picked anything up at all.
Now I'm wondering if my software is missing something, any thoughts please?

PC Bilbo 15:34 13 Aug 08

Some spyware software providers deliberately build false positives into scan results on trial versions to persuade people to buy their products.On the other hand, not all scanners detect all spyware.

Did you make a note of the names of the 3 infections? If so please post the results.

Hetti 16:24 13 Aug 08

PC Bilbo
Thanks.............I did find out what Spywear Doctor was reporting as infections/high risk items, they were a couple of animated screensavers I had downloaded a few months ago, I unistalled them as I never used them, although I don't know if they were a threat.
I also uninstalled Spyware Doctor as I have never had problems with my Superantispyware and Adaware prevouisly.

Thanks again

gdaines 19:32 14 Aug 08

Okay, looks like you're sorted here, but just thought I'd add my bit...

You CAN get Spyware Doctor free, just search for 'Google Pack' and install it with that. It's a Lite version, but it works.

I also use Spybot Search & Destroy. Go to Filehippo (click here) and you'll find it in the Anti-Spyware section.

And finally if your antivirus program is due for renewal, you use a free version, or you don't have antivirus installed (you must be mad), then install AVG Antivirus Free Edition v8 which also detects spyware.

WARNING: Never install more than one antivirus program, they'll conflict with each other and could kill your pc. However, using multiple antispyware programs is okay and is recommended.

Garry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced