spyware keeps coming back

boo_hiss_boo 01:39 08 Aug 04

Hi, I have (thanks to this forum) downloaded spybot and run a check, which removed unwanted files. however, after visiting the internet I thought I would check again and the following file appears every time I even start up IE. 'DSO Exploit'

DSO Exploit: Data source object exploit (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-807862539-876780862-1957817608-1012\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

--- Spybot - Search && Destroy version: 1.3 ---
2004-07-09 Includes\Cookies.sbi
2004-07-28 Includes\Dialer.sbi
2004-07-27 Includes\Hijackers.sbi
2004-07-27 Includes\Keyloggers.sbi
2004-05-12 Includes\LSP.sbi
2004-07-27 Includes\Malware.sbi
2004-07-09 Includes\Revision.sbi
2004-07-02 Includes\Security.sbi
2004-07-27 Includes\Spybots.sbi
2004-07-28 Includes\Tracks.uti
2004-07-27 Includes\Trojans.sbi

Any ideas why this file is coming back over and over and should I be worried? I am not sure if I am being over sensitive !!

stalion 01:44 08 Aug 04

dso exploit is nothing to worry about.Run a check with this click here

stalion 01:48 08 Aug 04

sorry forgot to add dso is a bug in spybot that has not been rectified

one23 07:16 08 Aug 04

click here

Have a look here.

boo_hiss_boo 11:30 08 Aug 04

one23

thanks, I read the link and feel a bit easier now :o))

stallion,

I have a couple of questions (if you don't mind)

1) I downloaded the link for the escan and it showed that it cleaned 2 files with the bagle ah virus which apparantly had already been cleaned from my system with AVG (I even turned off System restore to enable cleaning of protected files). I run AVG every day and it has shown no virus, yet escan found 2.... does this mean AVG is missing viruses.

2) I read once that having 2 antivirus softwares could cause conflicts and they end up missing viruses due to this a) is this true? b) the more I am trying to learn and keep up to date with security the more confused I am getting. I was given AVG & zone alarm info from a friend which I have running, but it seems this is not enough protection. I get really worried about security (as I am on broadband and my daughter uses MSN loads) and I have tried to read up about it all, but everytime I read I just get the impression that I need to download more software, I don't mind paying for stuff, but I don't want to pay and then find that actually I should not have bothered and something else is much better etc. I downloaded cleanmypc yesterday on a trial and in 15 days will need to pay, but I don't want to just keep downloading everything, I would prefer to have the minimun (free or paid for) software to give me the max protection. Please could you send me a link for really learning what is what or some well neede advice.

Many Many thanks
Lisa

stalion 13:07 08 Aug 04

If escan found and deleted a virus then it was still on your system.Make sure you update AVG regularly.Also running two anti-virus programmes at the same time can cause problems if they are both in-stalled on your system.Escan does not instal it remains as a zip file where you have placed it so it is not a problem,it is a scanning tool not a anti-virus program.
Do you have a good firewall in operation?
also you need these if you do not have them
click here this free ad-aware program
also this stops spyware from getting on your computer in the first place
click here

boo_hiss_boo 19:59 08 Aug 04

stallion

thanks again. I have to say this is a very friendly forum... thanks to everyone here who offers help to us unfortunate dummies (no offence to others intended) who (although try very hard) do not seem to grasp all there is to understand. Anyway, I will try the links.

At the moment I am running AVG (always updated at least once a week and was def updated to spot the bagle virus, cos it spotted it before I cleaned the system with a download specifically for this and then came up clean each time after that, and I run avg I run daily) Zone alarm, updated whenever offered, I have just downloaded spybot and CleanMyPc. Do you think this is enough or would these trojan things get past all of what I already have (or anything else for that matter). Actually, I also unplug my data cable from my cable modem so that when I am not on line, I am not connected 24/7. Should I keep the registry cleaner? do you think this is a relevant software to run?

Which are the things that would get onto my pc and actually 'take' details from me eg bank details and passwords used... are these trojans? and can spyware do this?

Many many thanks for the time you take to offer advice

Boo :o))

ps My Dad actually gave me this website address and asked me who had responded, when i said you had, he said that you had answered him in the past too... so...... THANKS, it's nice to have real advice rather than always trying to make sense of everything out there.

stalion 20:17 08 Aug 04

yes keep your registry cleaner if it is a free one if not we can give you a site for a free one.What you have installed should be ok but if anything gets through we are always here to help.
are you on broadband or dialup?.Your firewall stops your info being taken so is very important.
There is no guarantee that you will not get anything in the future but you will be well protected with the programs you have and about to instal.If you need more help post back
All the best

boo_hiss_boo 20:34 08 Aug 04

Stallion

I am on broadband, so I know I am vulnerable (my daughter uses MSN aswell and I think this is not too good for security!)

The registry clener is not free, so the other download would be good if thats ok.

Also, I just downloaded the spyware blaster and I got the shortcut on my desktop. Does this protect my daughter aswell when she browses, as she does not have a shortcut, do I download it to her login aswell, or is it protecting the pc as a whole (sorry to be so dumb about it all!)

Thanks AGAIN :o)))

VoG II 20:39 08 Aug 04

If you have Windows XP then RegscrubXP is a good and safe and easy to use *free* registry cleaner. I use it myself click here

stalion 21:00 08 Aug 04

you are safer on broadband than dial up.Not sure about the computer protection as a whole so you have probably done the best thing and included
spywareblaster on both.Download the reg cleaner that VoG™ has kindly posted.Sp2 should be out soon which will give added protection also ad-aware has just included better scanning on internet explorer.
After you instal any programs make sure you update straight away.Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…