Spyware Infection

Newuser3605 17:16 30 Oct 05

Hello,
I have got rid of the infection but not the Windows(?) warning box, stating the above, which comes on every time the computer is turned on?
Any ideas please? Thanks.
Al

VoG II 17:17 30 Oct 05

Please tick this and stick to your original thread click here

gordchris 18:40 30 Oct 05

Try turning off stystem restore,this will delete all of your system restore files (had a similar problem not long back)if that works turn it back on again.Start-control panel-system-system restore.

PaulB2005 18:45 30 Oct 05

How will that help? Files cannot spontaneously make their way out of SR and back onto your system unless you actually run SR and go back to an old restore point!

Skills 20:57 30 Oct 05

Goto start run type msconfig and then go to the startup tab look for a reference there to the file that is trying to be loaded and failing which is why your getting the error message me thinks and take the tick out of it. Apply exit and restart see if that sorts the problem

Newuser3605 23:29 30 Oct 05

Hello,
Many thanks for trying to help.
I tried turning off system restore but it made no difference.
In msconfig I am worried about loading files which might be trojans and prefer not to take any chances, as most of them don't give much of a clue what they are.
Is it a genuine Windows message? It seems to be.
Al

Splork 23:47 30 Oct 05

Are you running Windows XP? Service Pack 2?

Splork 23:50 30 Oct 05

even if you aren't, make double sure the Messenger service is off click here

Newuser3605 23:51 30 Oct 05

Hello Splork,

Is there a way of finding out?
I downloaded some updates from the MS website today.
Why does it matter?
Al

Splork 23:56 30 Oct 05

XP had the Messenger service on by default, the SP2 update turned it off. Spammers have employed it to create popups, normally it would only be used on a Windows local-area network, connected to the 'net or not, for the administrator to display messages to any/all users of that network.

Splork 23:57 30 Oct 05

If you are up to date in terms of MS patches, it's not the issue. Can you describe exactly what the dialogue box you see says? To the letter

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…