Spyware Guard anomoly

Harrier man 10:33 28 Jan 05

When I start my computer (XPSP2) I have recently started getting the Spyware Guard window coming up saying that something is trying to change my homepage from mysearchnow.com.searchbar.html to google.com with 2 options: Restore old value or Keep New value.

Thing is, my home page isn't mysearchnow (nor do I want it to be) and I don't want it to be google so I have not been selecting either option but have just cancelled the window. However, the Spyware Guard warning keeps appearing everytime I switch on the computer.

I have run up-to-date versions of spybot and SpySubtract but nothing found. Full virus scan with Norton AV fails to find any problems either.

Any ideas anyone?

rawprawn 10:38 28 Jan 05

When it pops up, can't you retype the home page you want and click to save it ? I think it will keep popping up until you do something about the warning it is giving.

Harrier man 14:39 28 Jan 05

I haven't tried this to know if I even have the option. I think I am more worried by how it might have got there and why the spyware progs cannot help me.

IIRC it was mysearchnow that gave me my first taste of home page hijacking a couple of years ago and it was a pig to sort out at that time for me.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 15:59 28 Jan 05

Sounds to me like mysearchnow is trying to hijack your browser and Spyware Guard is forever trying to restore it for you.

Do you have Spybot, CWShredder, Adaware to run and detect/destroy these type of infections? If you do try running them from a safe mode boot.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 16:02 28 Jan 05

Sorry can see now read again that you have Spybot, but try the other two if you have them or download them from click here and click here

Harrier man 17:24 28 Jan 05

I have tried CWShredder but not Adaware. I will give it a go. Thanks.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 12:17 31 Jan 05

Any luck?

Harrier man 19:10 03 Feb 05

Sorry for delayed response, been away from desktop. I have re-run latest versions tonight. Spybot gave all clear, SpySubtract found one registry entry (didn't appear to be connected to my untrained eye) and Adaware found 11 problems, 9 of which were cookies but 2 were possible hijack events. All potential threats were deleted and a hard reset performed but spyware guard is still giving its warning.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 19:18 03 Feb 05

Go to your Internet settings and reenter your normal home page and save/apply it. See what happens then.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:18 03 Feb 05

mysearch now part of LOP.com try click here

Harrier man 15:49 05 Feb 05

Thought I'd try something on the basis that nothing was found and my home page was still intact. I uninstalled Spyware Guard and then immediately reinstalled it. This seems to have worked so, unless the warning comes back, I'm guessing that Spyware Guard had got itself in some sort of loop, perhaps because I never made the choice to Restore or Keep. I shall never know what would have happened had I selected one or the other. Thanks for your help and ideas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…