Spyware everywhere!

Fateful Shadow 17:45 30 Oct 03

The title may be a bit over-reactive, but I, like a fool, downloaded a "free" screensaver which came with lots of "free" spyware.

I use Ad-aware, but when I try to get rid of things, it says they are in use and it can't delete them. I know that they're not being used though. I even tried to delete them in safe mode and it still didn't work!

I have searched all the way through ny computer for traces of the software, and I can't see anything. I haven't looked through the registry yet, but something tells me that there's something in my computer and it's not friendly...

Stuartli 17:51 30 Oct 03

Have you run a virus scan?

Fateful Shadow 17:53 30 Oct 03

Yup, I updated it a scanned all of my files. My system is virus free, and I updated it about an hour ago

johnnyrocker 17:53 30 Oct 03

try running msconfig first and see what is set to start up and disable from there then run adaware while off line.?

Fateful Shadow 17:57 30 Oct 03

I've tried that too. I know that in my screensaver seletion drop down list there is the name of the screensaver, and I don't want it there. How do I get rid of it? Do I need to go somewhere in the registry?

Thanks for the suggestions so far :)

johnnyrocker 18:05 30 Oct 03

any possibilty of system restore?

A_World_Maker 18:16 30 Oct 03

Maybe you need something stronger? click here

A_World_Maker 18:17 30 Oct 03

this software will mark the offending blighters, and when you reboot, destroy them before windows loads :-)

johnnyrocker 18:48 30 Oct 03

an excellent bit of kit but dont forget regular update checks.

TommyRed 18:58 30 Oct 03

Try posting your question/problem on this site, click here it specializes in the removal of all types of spyware. You'll have to register but it's free, helped me twice when I couldn't get rid of spyware from the registry (don't forget to back it up).

keenan 19:14 30 Oct 03

If 'system restore' is an option as 'Johnnyrocker' says give it a try.
Once resolved install this click here
it stops spyware loading in the first place, and download 'Spybot SD' as 'A_World_Maker' says.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…