Spyware: different results from different systems

Benid 09:55 29 Aug 05

My MSN spyware scans every Sunday night and regularly reports zero infections, whilst I manually run Skybot from time to time and discover up to 20 infections. Today I got MSN's report of zero infections and immediately ran Skybot to find 16 infections. Either Skybot is doing something MSN isn't, or maybe the infections aren't serious enought for MSN to believe they're worth worrying about. What do you tdhnk? Many thanks, Bengo

bremner 09:59 29 Aug 05

You say infections but what are they.

I know that Microsoft Antispyware does not report minor inconsequential cookies where as Spybot and Adaware do.

Jackcoms 10:00 29 Aug 05

"Either Skybot is doing something MSN isn't"

Different anti-spyware programs don't all have exactly the same spyware definitions. If you have several programs on your system you will invariably receive several different results!

961 10:01 29 Aug 05

That's why it's important to run more than one spyware detector. They each have a different list of suspect files and what one doesn't find another might. Remember there can also be false positives, such as backweb files used by your virus detector.

These systems need to be used with a little thought

Use MS Antispyware, Spywareblaster, Spybot search and destroy and A squared

palinka 14:38 29 Aug 05

it's normal; use several different detectors of "nasties" to cover all the possibles.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…