Spyware detected by fre zonealarm tool

pl12345 21:23 19 Sep 07

Hi all,

was just getting the latest updates for ZA firewall and fell for a free scan they were offering, "SystemCheckup_ZoneAlarm2.exe" as I hadn't scanned my PC for a while. This is a sales gimmick as it scans but doesn't remove infections unless you pay.

Needless to say it says i have spyware on my PC so I've run my freeware sw, spybot and adaware with the latest updates - even did an avg virus scan and downloaded Spyware Doctorâ„¢ 5.0 for Windows from click here. Other than a few tracking cookies none of these detected any problems but the zonealarm software still says there's a problem!

How worried should I be and what can I do about it without paying?

Cheers,
Pat

Technotiger 21:27 19 Sep 07

I would ignore it and not worry about it. You have taken all the necessary precautions - it is as you said, they are just after your hard earned cash.

VoG II 21:28 19 Sep 07

Try scanning with these

Superantispyware click here

AVG Antispyware click here

If they report clear it is probably a con.

Stuartli 21:45 19 Sep 07

The latest version of ZoneAlarm (free) is 7.0.362.0.

I installed this back on July 31st...:-)

Stuartli 21:47 19 Sep 07

Unless you mean a paid for version from Monday?

click here

Totally-braindead 21:51 19 Sep 07

I would do the scans the others have suggested and if they find nothing ignore it.
There seems to more and more of this sort of scam going about and they rely on the fear they instill with the warning messages to get you to part with your cash. Sadly if you do part with your cash the chances are that it will not help things but make things much worse.

mine says 7.1.078.000

Stuartli 21:54 19 Sep 07

I did a search for a possible later version, but only 7.0.362.0 came up.

I'll have another look...:-)

Stuartli 21:55 19 Sep 07

Found it - only issued today:

click here

rather worryingly! downloaded from check point, hope it's ok!

thats ok then. downloaded it last night.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…