Spyware Blaster

thumbscrew 23:08 PM 17 Aug 11

Spyware Blaster, does it actually do anything?

john bunyan 23:11 PM 17 Aug 11

It purports to block spyware etc. I use it but do not know how to see what it has blocked!

Snrub 23:16 PM 17 Aug 11

This is a good question. I was thinking the same myself. If you look in the start up folder there is nothing there and the same if it is viewed in process explorer, nothing there. The only way to see it is to launch from the desktop and it confirms protection and updates available. So where does it reside in Windows and how does it manage to run and not show it is running?

thumbscrew 23:16 PM 17 Aug 11

Greetings and thanks John....ditto...I've used it for years and religiously update it, but Spyware still gets through to my machine. And yep, never thought of it before, but you're right, I've never found out what it's "Blocked" either.

thumbscrew 23:17 PM 17 Aug 11

Ditto too Snrub...brings to mind the parable of the Kings New Clothes!

rdave13 23:25 PM 17 Aug 11
  thumbscrew 23:30 PM 17 Aug 11

Many thanks Rdave, read it through and I'm up and running with most of it. Re the Protection section...I've followed all the instructions, all to no avail...crap keeps on coming! Rdave, are you a user and what is your honest opinion?

Snrub 23:34 PM 17 Aug 11

Thanks rdave13 this does explain what's happening and I suppose Host Files works on a similar basis blocking Known problem sites.

rdave13 23:44 PM 17 Aug 11

thumbscrew, Always used it and crap will still come through depending on how you use the net and your security apps. McAfee's free site advisor is also an invaluable help at times. Much better than WOT I believe.

Snrub, as for Host Files blocking you'll get none better than Spybot S&D.

All in my humble opinion of course.

thumbscrew 23:49 PM 17 Aug 11

Thanks amigo,your humble opinion far supersedes mine...I'll carry on using it.

Snrub 23:58 PM 17 Aug 11

As a matter of interest I run Spyware Blaster real time, Host Files, McAfee real time protection and Iobit Malware Fighter Pro real time protection. I don't know if this is overkill and breaks the rules about having multiple protection but all seem compatible. Iobit seems the most proactive and has found the most problems and rectified them, identifying the problem in detail. It found problems not shown using Malwarebytes and Superantispyware.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…