spyware and backup compatibility

arrow 12:32 30 Jun 05

I run Windows ME on a 4 year old Evesham 1.4 GH PC, "protected" by Norton internet security 2005. Having slowed down and developed unprovoked peculiar behavior I installed Spybot S & D and Adaware from the cover disc, and was horrified at 34 spyware incidents and 149 adware files (9 critical). As Spybot is only 54% effective, what else lurks below?
1. Is Microsoft antispyware compatible with ME?
2. Will Norton Ghost work with ME?
3. Why doesn't my firewall block these attacks?
Please help. Many thanks, Arrow.

stalion 13:30 30 Jun 05

install this it prevents spyware from getting on your computer in the first place
click here

gudgulf 13:45 30 Jun 05

Microsoft antispyware is not compatible with Me.....Sunbelt's Counterspy,which is based on the same technology,does click here

Also the vast majority of the incidents reported by Adaware and Spybot will be tracking cookies so it's not as bad as it seems.However bear in mind that although it does now include some degree of antispyware/worm/trojan protection Norton is still essentially an antivirus product and not as good at tracking down adware/spyware as a dedicated scanner.As for a firewall, that also will not stop most cookies or many other nasties because they ride in to your ststem on the back of allowed applications, or fool you into allowing them.

stalion's suggestion is excellent advice...you should also use the "Immunise" fuction of Spybot S&D.I would recommend trying Counterspy(I use the original partner of Sunbelt's antispyware,GIANT which is the one Microsoft bought)....you wont be disappointed.

arrow 15:39 30 Jun 05

Stalion & gudgulf. Many thanks for your advice. I am in the process of downloading Counterspy. Can you please help with the Norton Ghost compatibility with ME? Arrow.

Completealias 15:44 30 Jun 05

According to the symantec site click here ghost upto version 8 is ok with ME

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…