Spyware & Adware help required

Old Town Steve 18:11 30 Apr 04

I,m still a novice at this computing lark, and I want to know more about spyware and adware. I've seen plenty of posts on this forum, but I would like to know if I should download a spyware/adware program. I'm running XP home, and have zone alarm firewall, plus norton av, do I need any more protection? If so is there one program that deals with both spyware & adware? Also if the programs delete files is there any chance I could delete files I need in error?
Any pointers would be appreciated.

bigray 18:16 30 Apr 04

spybot is really good & its free click here

SANTOS7 18:20 30 Apr 04

click here spybot S&D and spyware blaster are two very popular progs and do exactly what they say they will do

johnnyrocker 18:24 30 Apr 04

little danger of incorrect files being deleted adaware and spy bot have two different functions therefore both should be updated regularly.

johnny.

Taw® 18:25 30 Apr 04

click here plus lots of other good freebies and recognition paid to Belatucdrus

pj123 20:02 30 Apr 04

Sorry if this appears to be hi-jacking your thread but I have just downloaded both spybot and adaware and when I ran them there were lots of files it got rid of for me. What I want to know is. Do they run in the background or do I have to run them manually every time?

Taw® 20:07 30 Apr 04

pj spybot and adaware need to be run by the user. If you get spywareguard and spyware blaster they work in the background. All four are highly recommended on the forum and are all liknked in the above.

pj123 20:11 30 Apr 04

Taw®. Thanks for that. At least I know. pete

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…