SPYWARE, ADWARE etc

AJ25 19:03 20 Jun 06

Can somebody recommend to be a good product or combination of products to secure my pc / network from the spyware, adware and any other ware that shouldn't be on my computers. There are so many to choose from. I would also like to hear the best firewall to use in combination. Norton worked well but is too resource hungry as is McAfee. Currently I'm using Windows Firewall and a corporate version of Symantic Anti-virus on my laptop and AVG (free) with Windows Firewall on my PC.

I want good security, resource friendly and nothing that is a nightmare to uninstall.

johnnyrocker 19:10 20 Jun 06

avg free, i use sygate firewall with windows one switched off, spywareblaster,spybot,adaware,super anti spy, all available from downloads section on this site or click here

johnny.

Kaacee 19:11 20 Jun 06

A lot of the folks on here use Adaware..t...Zone Alarm...AVG...all free.....i use these programmes myself without any problem.

AJ25 19:12 20 Jun 06

Why did you select these, especially the firewall

johndrew 19:14 20 Jun 06

AVG Free free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5
Kerio Personal Firewall click here
A2 Free click here
SpyBot S&D click here
Ad-Aware SE Personal click here
SpywareBlaster click here

All free and all good. Will all work together. Make sure you install AVG before the firewall if you use Kerio.

bluto1 19:15 20 Jun 06

I use these too and as to why? the answer is that they have been tried and recommended here
on this forum.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:18 20 Jun 06

Firewall
ZoneAlarm click here

Anti Virus :- (one only)
Avast4 click here
0r AVG antivirus click here

Anti Spyware :- (as much as you like)
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
Spycatcher express click here
a2 click here
Windows Defender click here
Ewido click here
Superantispyware click here
Hitman pro click here

Defender as a real time scanner
Sywareblaster as a blocker
Sybot, Adaware or Ewido as back up scanners

HAve run just sygate firwall (no longer free), Avast, defender and sywareblaster and nothing has been found by the others for over a year since instlled on new PC.

AJ25 19:20 20 Jun 06

OK so far there is a consensus on Ad-aware and strong showings for spywareblaster and spybot. But 3 out of 3 different firewalls.

johnnyrocker 19:22 20 Jun 06

it is a matter of preference, i got sygate after having endless probs with zone alarm.

johnny.

Kaacee 22:21 20 Jun 06

It's as johhnyrocker says...personal preference..
try them all, they are free and see which one's you get on with, then decide which ones you want to use.

syngenta35 11:41 20 Oct 06

I have windows xp home edition and telewest broadband.I have their pc guard andI keep getting a recurring problem with anti spyware cmd service.I have run spybot and telewest pc guard but both will not remove.pc guard says antispyware failed to delete cmd service and when i go to their spyware centre there isnt any info available.Can someone advise please?syngenta35.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…