spyware???

rosko 20:28 23 Feb 04

can anyone please help, being relativley new to computers can anybody tell me what is spyware/spyware scanners & do I need one??

Suzuki ITFC 21:00 23 Feb 04

Spyware is a file that sits hidden on your hard drive. It may track what your doing or give you annoying pop ups. I would advise you to download and update Ad-aware and Spybot.

I hope this helps.

Jester2K 21:00 23 Feb 04

FAQ click here

Get AdAware - click here and SpyBot click here

Also install SpywareBlaster to prevent it - click here

Make sure you keep them all up to date.

cycoze 21:05 23 Feb 04

have a look click here for description of adware.

Have a look click here for description of spyware .

Ad-aware (freeware) to remove adware can be got from click here .

Spybot-S&D (free) to protect/remove spyware can be got from click here .

SpywareBlaster (free/donate) to prevent spyware/adware can be got from click here .

The above are some of the most commonly used programs , plenty of people from this Forum use them .

cycoze 21:06 23 Feb 04

And i need to practice speed typing ;o)

keenan 21:10 23 Feb 04

Yes, you are advised to have atleast one.

A detailed description and free download is available from 'ad aware' click here

Also download 'Spybot SD' again free
click here

What one dose,nt pick up the other usually will.

keenan 21:11 23 Feb 04

Well slow & I even refreshed...oh well :)

Indigo 1 21:15 23 Feb 04

Spyware and Adware can also direct you to "chosen" sites when using an internet browser, which can be very annoying as most times they have nothing in common with the sites you really want. They download unwanted cookies and they can appear to hijack your homepage and any other favourite sites.

They are generally more of a pest than Virus' and Trojans as these are dealt with by your Anti-Virus software without any trouble at all.

If you have been surfing the net for some time without anti spyware you will be amazed at the amount of spyware that Ad-Aware and Spybot can turn up, remember to update them before first use and regularly, and also it's good advice to run both of them because anything one of them misses will be found by the other.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…