Spying Cookies

Gaz 25 21:54 03 Jan 03
  Gaz 25 21:54 03 Jan 03

I have done the following due to the amount of Spy cookies being installed that ad-aware has detected. Even this website has: bfast, Doubleclick, Valueclick and Adtech all of which are spywares.

I have done the following: In Internet Explorer 6.x, go to Tools > Internet Options. Click the privacy tab and press the "Advanced" button. Check "Override automatic cookie handling" and "Block" under Third-party cookies. Your setting for First-party cookies is up to you, but we suggest selecting "Prompt" as well as "Always allow session cookies". Be warned, the prompts will quickly drive you nuts like they have to me but it does stop them.

Does anyone know if Doubleclick, bfast, adtech, adserverdby, advertising, gator, gatorad and hitbox are all safe or unsafe and whatt they all do? If I set Ad-aware to ignore these what do they monitor?

Thankyou.

Gaz 25 21:58 03 Jan 03

Ad-aware has not detected anything since

VoG™ 21:59 03 Jan 03

Cookies are harmless. Relax.

Qmar 22:04 03 Jan 03

suggeston-download spybot S&D.. plenty of descriptive info on each item found when u click on results.

Stokey 22:05 03 Jan 03

.....Ad-Aware is defunct anyway. They have fallen out between themselves and taken their bats and balls home in separate directions.

Most of all tho' as VoG™ indicates .... they are harmless. No need to worry about them at all!

LAMINA 22:05 03 Jan 03

i recognise gator, doubleclick & gatorad, they all make advets pop up on your pc, not sure if they monitor anything, you can block these with a decent firewall. such as zonealarm or outpost.
you could also install Spybot search and destroy, which should get rid of any spyware

Gaz 25 22:06 03 Jan 03

Thanks VoG™ but I wouls still like to know what these do and anotherone I have seen a lot is Mediaplex and Gator.exe but as a cookie.

Anyone know what they track?

I have heard Gator and Mediaplex are dangerous but VoG™ thinks thay are safe, I am confused.

Help?

Thankyou.

leo49 22:07 03 Jan 03

Strange - there's a brand new free version due in February?

jazzypop 22:07 03 Jan 03

Can you post a link for further information about AD-Aware being 'defunct'?

Gaz 25 22:10 03 Jan 03

I have noticed that Ad-aware deletes the but If I look they are still there?

I had problems with the speed of the internet and then the Internet started disconnecting and connecting when it wanted. I did a sacn for Spyware and it stoped straight after, this was due to gator and hitbox Lavasoft support say.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…