Spybot v Ad-aware Software

DerekJJBrooks 17:20 14 Jan 05

Hi Everyone,
Following my postings over Xmas/New Year, re mouse/keyboard working without my instructions, I had to format hard drive per tech support.

This has not cured problem, but I have been given so called reason for it, "wireless technology"

However I have now reinstalled everything and been online for a few days, I read that there should be little difference between Spybot and Ad-aware.

I have both free versions, ran Spybot, five problems picked up, and removed, ran ad-aware and found 673, problems 68 pages on report.

This seems madness.

The more you read about Spyware,etc etc the more paranoid I am getting.

I don't feel happy removing so many items, on a so called clean hard drive.

Any thoughts? anyone used ad-aware?

Thanks

Derek

VoG II 17:21 14 Jan 05

Yes and I delete everything it finds without problems.

buscrew 17:23 14 Jan 05

Same here, never had a problem removing stuff found by AdAware.

pj123 17:27 14 Jan 05

Yes, me also. Run Adaware first and then Spypbot.

What Adaware doesn't catch Spybot will.

Also have Spywareblaster installed.

Chezdez 17:35 14 Jan 05

i use both, and my system runs sweet (well, as sweet as windows can)
the only thing i ever seemed to pick up in spybot though was the DSO exploit, and i have the version that doesn't show this up everytime, so i don't think it'll pick anything up now!

speaking of them, time i ran a scan actually....

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 17:40 14 Jan 05

there should be no complaint if it is free.yes complain if you have spent a bit on norton and it finds 3 viruses and then you install mcafee and it finds 20.this is freeware,just have them installed.and as vog says delete what ever it finds.ben

Stuartli 17:46 14 Jan 05

I think you are probably confusing the second Ad-aware list after a scan of basic computer functions, links etc with spyware.

It's the first list that needs attention. The second list has only started to appear with the arrival of Personal SE and is nothing to worry about.

If I remember rightly S and D calls them trackage lists.

DerekJJBrooks 19:26 14 Jan 05

Thanks Everyone, Will give it a go.

I read about DSO exploit in my computer mag this week, only paid up firewall and anti-virus will supposedly get rid off this, or stop it, however my neighbour has Norton 2005, and it does not.

CurlyWhirly 21:08 14 Jan 05

I have NEVER had a problem deleting stuff found by either SpyBot or Ad-aware either!
Very good programs they are too!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…