Spybot Search and Destroy

curiouser 15:50 05 Nov 04

Re: Spybot Search & Destroy
1. Does it run in the background? If it does, can it be turned off so that sensitive programmes such as Adobe Premiere 4.2 are not upset? If you can turn it off, how is this done?
2. My wife’s computer is running Spybot but I want to update to the latest software version. I have downloaded this but am not sure whether I should uninstall the old version first before installing the new one. Please can anyone advise me on this.

The same computer also has Adaware, and I need the same information about this ie should I uninstall the old version before installing the new one.

Cook2 15:58 05 Nov 04

Spybot S&D only works when you start it. You can compliment it by downloading click here which runs in the background without any trouble.

After checking with S&D and using 'Immunize', you see you can click on 'You have Javacools....' to open Spywareblaster to check for updates.

Just install over the old programme unless told otherwise by the programme.

rawprawn 15:58 05 Nov 04

As far as I am aware Spybot does not run in the background, therefore should be no threat to any program. I installed the new Adaware over the top with no problems, but having said that I think it is safer to uninstall the old version first.

VCR97 20:00 05 Nov 04

I think that Adaware asks if you want to uninstall the old version and then does the job for you if you say "yes".

curiouser 18:40 06 Nov 04

Thank you, all of you. I am not quite happy about the answer re Spybot S&D not running in the background as my wife has had things come up from Spybot without attempting to run the programme. Re 'Immunise', I have never discovered this on the version running on my wife's computer although I have seen it referred to in mags. The programme will deal with spyware and presents the items marked with a green tick after you have told it to deal with those items you mark. However, nowhere have I seen the word immunise. Perhaps the latest version is different.
Please note Cook 2 that ANY programme running in the background on my computer must be able to be stopped if I wish as it would undoubtedly wreck Adobe Premiere and the writing of CD's. I guess it would be OK on my wife's computer.

VoG II 18:45 06 Nov 04

Immunize is a large button on the left hand panel of Spybot click here

TeaTimer click here runs in the background.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…