spybot S&D question

charlton200 08:35 27 May 06

Hello,

I am just about to install the spybot program.
Could you tell me if I need to install these aspects of it,

Permanent protection.
Use Internet explorer protection (sd helper)
And
Use system settings protection (tea time).

Many thanks.

Andsome 08:47 27 May 06

It is a matter of choice. Tea Timer will regularly ask questions as to whether or not you want to allow something, if you don't know it can be confusing. I have found the program to be a bit iffy. Sometime it is very difficult to download updates. A program that I have found to be far superior is SuperAntispyware. click here. It finds things that Spybot never did. As good back up for finding Trojans, A Squared takes some beating. make sure that you get the free copy rather than the trial version of the full copy.click here

€dstowe 08:58 27 May 06

I've recently started to use SuperAntiSpyware (as Andsome recommended) and I'm very impressed. It finds things not seen by SpyBot, Ad-Aware, A squared and Ewido.

It takes quite a time to complete its scan but I put that down to it being very thorough.

charlton200 10:26 27 May 06

Thanks.
Could you tell me what tea time and sd helper is and if I really need them.

I will try the other thanks. I have been using A2 for some time now.

Cheers.

Jackcoms 11:23 27 May 06

Taken from Spybot's Help file:

Resident is a permanently running application to protect your system. Currently, it consists of a browser helper for Internet Explorer that will block download of files known as malicious (spyware installers for example).

This page inside Spybot-S&D allows you to install/uninstall this helper as well as view the report which pages it has blocked (that should only appear if the first layer of protection, the main IE immunity, didn't stop the culprit).

The second resident tool is the TeaTimer. The Resident TeaTimer is a new tool of Spybot-S&D which perpetually monitors the processes called/initiated. It immediately detects known malicious processes wanting to start and terminates them giving you some options how to deal with this process in the future: You can set TeaTimer to:

- be informed, when the process tries to start again
- automatically kill the process
- or generally allow the process to run There is also an option to delete the file associated with this process.

In addition, TeaTimer detects when something wants to change some critical registry keys. TeaTimer can protect you against such changes again giving you an option: You can either "Allow" or "Deny" the change. As TeaTimer is always running in the background, it takes some resources of about 5 MB.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…