Spybot S&D hangs when Fix button pressed

soph 11:47 08 Jan 05

I have Spybot S&D 1.3 newly installed and updated to run on my Win98 SE system. Spybot appears to detect threats as normal (Spybot S&D 1.2 worked like a charm) but when I click on 'Fix' Spybot S&D freezes with an indicated 2 seconds elapsed.

This 'Non-responding' state occurs even if I have prior to scanning, stopped all other tasks running.

Spybot S&D 1.3 has never run to a completed fix for me.

Ideas please!

JIM 12:00 08 Jan 05

uninstall previous versions before installing this one?

soph 12:18 08 Jan 05

Yup, prior to installing version 1.3, Spybot S&D 1.2 was religiously uninstalled, first by using Spybot's uninstall feature dealing with the registry and then by checking via Add/Remove Programs.

JIM 13:22 08 Jan 05

Wondering if the uninstall delete the old directory of S&D,from your s&d programs directory before the install.

Somtimes problems running Spybot-S&D under window 98,98SE, 98ME can be resource related?

Consider (may already have done some of it.)

Cleaning up all temporary internet files.
Cleaning up all temporary files (.tmp) files.

Run Spybot-S&D as stand alone program preferably after a reboot and see if that resolves the problem.Minimize everything including Spybot-S&D. De-activate any anti-virus program that you are running.

Try also,

Rebooting the computer choosing the safe mode.
Run it in safe mode then try it again in normal startup mode and see if it still stops during the scan.

soph 21:31 08 Jan 05

Thanks Jim
Spybot S&D 1.3 did run in safe mode, albeit after a misleading scan after which Spybot declared one scanning error and 'Congratulations' etc in the scan result list. On an immediate second scan attempt (without closing Spybot S&D), 22 threats (previously identified during failed fix attempts) were identified and successfuly fixed.

I am suspicious of McAfee's VirusScan 8.0.41 and in particular SpamKiller 5.0.80. I'll now do the digging to identify the culprit process.

soph 01:54 11 Jan 05

Further experimentation has shown that MacAfee's MSKSrvr.exe appears to be the probable cause of the hang.

It is not sufficient to simply disable SpamKiller from the system tray. MSKSrvr.exe must be prevented from even starting on bootup. I used msconfig. Spybot S&D 1.3 will then run normally.

Jackcoms 08:41 11 Jan 05

It might be worth installing the most recent version of Spybot - 1.3.1 TX - from click here
Please note that this is an update to version 1.3 and, therefore, MUST be installed over the top of 1.3

soph 23:40 12 Jan 05

Thanks for making me aware. I'll advise of the results.

soph 23:03 02 Feb 05

Since my last post Spamkiller has updated itself several times and I updated Spybot S&S with the Jan 28 updates. I also updated my Canon CD-LabelPrint software.

Hurrah! Spybot S&D now operates as usual! Unfortunately I don't know which update caused Spybot to resume normal action.

Thanks for all suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…