Spybot S&D

SusieWong 21:57 19 Oct 07

Just run full program for infes(c)ted files and (sad) didn't recognise most of the file names. When I go to search it can't find these files even when I ask it to look for hidden files. Have I downloaded stuff without knowing? And if so I how do I find it to get rid of it? Sorry it's all questions. Apparently I have 86006 files on my computer but I'm damned if I know what they all are!!!!

Any help appreciated and I know it's Friday!

Susie

skidzy 22:11 19 Oct 07

Susie,can you explain a little better please.

The 86000 files are probably just system files,if Spybot SD return a clean scan,chances are your system is clean.

What exactly has been downloaded ?

Some advice on safe programs to use click here

Read the thread first before you decide on what you require,if needed.

SusieWong 22:19 19 Oct 07

Sorry I am being particularly stupid but when Spybot was running there were file names going thru for which I have no recollection. Things such as Keylogger, mediaware, sexy, zlob, pirates,what are all these things? My pooter is getting sloooower and sloooooower to start and is there anything I can do?

Thanks Susie

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:19 19 Oct 07

Step 1: Set it up
The app's primary screen emphasizes scanning your machine for threats and updating spyware definitions. Switch from the default to the advanced mode from the Mode menu, you open up a world of options. The Settings button, located down in the lower-left corner of the advanced window, contains lots of ways to fine-tune Spybot's behavior. This screen may at first appear overwhelming, but the Settings window lets you customize the app so it works for you.
Once you get to the Settings window, click the Settings subsection. You should definitely spend a few moments reading through it carefully, especially the part labeled Main Settings. In particular, you'll probably want to check all the boxes related to backups and system-restore points. This way, if Spybot happens to accidentally remove a key that's crucial to your PC's OS, you can easily roll your Registry back to its pre-scan state.
From this screen, you also can configure Spybot to automatically start a scan when you launch the program or each time you boot up your machine. Finally, you'll find check boxes that enable Spybot to search for and download the latest updates every time you fire it up. These automation features not only will save you time, they'll also help ensure your computer stays safe.

Step 2: Search and destroy
Once you've configured the program to your liking,head back to the main screen by clicking the tab labeled Spybot-S&D. Once you hit the Check for Problems button, the program will begin scanning your machine for malware. As is the case with many antispyware apps, Spybot may take a while to look through the contents of a large hard drive or an extremely infected Registry.
On completion you'll see a list of all spyware components the program detected on your computer. Clicking the tiny plus-sign icon next to each threat will let you view individual infected Registry keys, but Spybot is configured to eradicate them all by default. Move up to the top of the main window and click the button labeled Fix selected problems, then confirm by answering yes to the pop-up window. Within a few moments, your computer should be free of all malware Spybot encountered.

Step 3: Schedule your scans
To access the scheduling tool, you'll need to head back to the Settings tab, then click the clock-shaped Scheduler icon. To begin configuring this feature, hit Add, then Edit. On the window that pops up, browse over to the Schedule tab and hit New again.
Spybot lets you schedule scans on a weekly or monthly basis by choosing the appropriate option from the drop-down menu, but hard-core downloaders and frequent Web surfers should probably scan their machines at least once a day. If you really want foolproof protection--or you're just extremely paranoid--you can click the Advanced button, which lets you perform multiple spyware searches in the same day. To do so, check the Repeat Task box, then tell the program how many hours or minutes should pass between scans. After you enter the duration time and hit OK, Spybot will prompt you to enter a password, providing yet another layer of system security.

Step 4: Permanently delete files
If you're still in a tidying mood after you get rid of any nasty spyware infections, check out Spybot's file shredder, which destroys documents once and for all. To obliterate your private data, head to the Tools tab, then hit the Secure Shredder button. Adding files you want to shred is a simple matter of right-clicking in the queue and browsing your PC. Unlike specialized data-deletion applications, Spybot's built-in tool won't let you choose from a bunch of government-sanctioned algorithms, but you can specify how many times it should overwrite files via a small menu item near the bottom of the interface. Once you've taken those steps, just hit the Chop it away! button to initiate the erasing process. Remember, if you've chosen to overwrite files 30 or 40 times, you'll be in for a bit of a wait, but the extra peace of mind may be worth the extra time.

skidzy 22:23 19 Oct 07

The files names you are seeing are from Spybots database checking to see if they are installed on your computer.

Take the above advice and if still problems with a slow computer,come back to us and we can help accordingly.

VoG II 22:26 19 Oct 07

Long time no see - don't leave it so long next time :o)

As skidzy said, those are the files Spybot is looking for, not the files that you have on your PC.

SusieWong 22:34 19 Oct 07

I have no problem with Spybot I just don't understand where all these files came from!

Susie

VoG II 22:38 19 Oct 07

To repeat: You don't have these files. These are the files in Spybot's database and which it is looking for.

DieSse 22:42 19 Oct 07

"...where all these files came from!"

Which files, shown where?

If it's a list of the files that have infected your computer, in the main window - they're from the internet.

If it's the file names that appear along the bottom bar - they're NOT files in your computer - they're just a list of what Spybot is checking for, to find if they are in your computer or not.

skidzy 22:43 19 Oct 07

Just to enlighten you a bit Susie.

The 86000 files on the pc that have been scanned are program and system files,and believe me....thats not many files compared to some computers.

SusieWong 22:53 19 Oct 07

Thought I'd lost my master forever. Thanks for info now I understand what's going on. Just doing a bit of a girly thing.............. ha ha ha I wish, way past that excuse.

Didn't think you were here tonight. But I could still see the lights

Sorry reading Darren Shan books and might have believed toooo much

Have a good one!
Susie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…