Spybot S & D or XP Security Centre bug?

Jackcoms 08:12 20 Aug 05

This may be of interest to Spybot users.

Having downloaded the latest Spybot updates yesterday I then ran a scan and it again found 'Windows Security Centre AntiVirusDisableNotify'.

I've ignored this in the past but this time decided to let Spybot remove it.

This morning, whilst off-line, I had a reason to disable my AV software. As soon as I disabled it I got a Security Centre pop-up in the Task Bar:

"Your computer might be at risk. Norton Anti-Virus is turned off!"

I use XP and I've had Security Centre on my PC since I installed SP2 12 months ago and I've NEVER had this pop-up before.

OK, it's a useful message. But although I regularly disable my AV when PC housekeeping, why have I only received it now for the first time?

Was it related to the 'bug' which Spybot found and removed?

I post this for the information of other Forum members rather than expecting an explanation. ;-)

algrey 09:14 20 Aug 05

I have had this popup for some time yet when I check my anti virus is on.I do run spybot but have not associated the popup with this programme. Anyone have an explanation?

rawprawn 10:59 20 Aug 05

I too get this message, I don't know why you have just had it after turning off your AV, unless Spybot had found a bug which disabled it as seems apparent. Altough I have never heard of this before.Look in the Security Centre/Virus Protection/and in the left hand pain "Change the way security centre alerts me" Was there always a tick in the Virus protection box?

johnnyrocker 11:09 20 Aug 05

i have never had this and i run spy bot regularly am i missing out?

johnny.

johnnyrocker 11:11 20 Aug 05

silly me, just realised i am not running sp2 apologies (not long up;))

johnny.

Jackcoms 11:12 20 Aug 05

Dennis

Yes, all three alert settings are ticked and always have been. Curiouser and curiouser.

rawprawn 11:19 20 Aug 05

Craig
Hey, Ho! one of life's little mysteries.

Jackcoms 11:19 20 Aug 05

Just tried an experiment. Turned off the firewall and surprise, surprise up came a task bar pop-up "Your computer might be at risk. No firewall is turned on".

Again - first time I've ever seen it.

Does this mean that my Security Centre alerts have not been working correctly until now?

ACOLYTE 11:26 20 Aug 05

Is this spybot telling you that you have selected to monitor your own av in the security centre?,i have never had this with spybot though so im just guessing.

Pooke 11:28 20 Aug 05

Does this mean that my Security Centre alerts have not been working correctly until now?

Turned off rather than "not been working correctly".

Goto control panel, security centre, and on the left "change the way security centre alerts me".

Pooke

Jackcoms 11:34 20 Aug 05

Thanks, but look again at my post of 11:12.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac