Spybot "hosts" file and Windows Media Player

Laser157 11:41 29 Oct 03

I previously posted about this, but found the answer myself and posted it. See: click here

My question is, does anyone know which entry or entries in the Spybot list block the Radio Tuner in Media Player 9? I would like to keep the list but edit those entries out.

Laser157 11:46 29 Oct 03

I should have explained that when I reinstalled the Spybot hosts list, the blocking action came back after re-starting the machine. The new list did not solve the problem as I had indicated.

keenan 12:00 29 Oct 03

Why not un-install and re-install.
Player works fine for me and have Spybot,Adaware & spyblaster installed- using XP.

Laser157 12:36 29 Oct 03

Thanks for the response, keenan. I did reinstall, but with the same result. Just to check, does Radio Tuner work in your Media Player? For some reason, Media Guide works fine for me with the hosts list, but not Radio Tuner.

Taff36 12:56 29 Oct 03

I remember the original thread & I had the same problem, plus I couldn`t get to some of my regular sites that I have used in the past. My IT consultant found an alternate DNS server address for my ISP (Pipex) and I inserted it in the INTERNET PROTOCOL (TCP/IP) SETTINGS PROPERTIES for the connection I was using. Rebooted everything and it worked. I don`t know why though.

Laser157 13:04 29 Oct 03

Thanks for coming back on this one, Taff36. Glad to hear you solved your problem. However I think your problem was affecting all the MediaPlayer links, rather than just Radio Tuner. I disable the hosts file when I want to use Radio Tuner, which is OK as a workaround but a bit messy.

keenan 13:09 29 Oct 03

Yes, works fine and all the links work ok.

keenan 13:09 29 Oct 03

Yes, works fine and all the links work ok.

Laser157 08:12 01 Nov 03

I have resolved this problem by replacing the Spybot hosts list with this one:

click here

All works fine now. Also useful utilities on this site, like one to enable/disable 'hosts' file from desktop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now