Spybot + Adaware

Gem 09:19 02 Nov 04

I had to restore my system last week, and was advised to install some sort of spyware, just in case my problem had anything to do with having to restore in the first place. Anyway, I did install Spybot sometime this year only to find that it seemed to completely mess up my computer at the time. I could no longer access the Internet, check emails... So, in the end I got rid of it again, as well as restore my computer again.
Why would Spybot have caused thosed problems at the time. and whay can i do to prevent the same from happening again should I want to install again? And, is Spybot the best freeware I could use?

Adaware - would it do the same as the ad-blocking in Norton Internet Security?

Thanks.

rawprawn 10:39 02 Nov 04

Ad Aware and Spybot are defence against Spyware not Ad Blockers, I see no reason why you can't load both onto your computer neither of them should cause any problems.

spuds 10:46 02 Nov 04

I have used SpyBot and Adaware for ages, and they have worked without problems.Did the job that they were intended to do.

A number of people using this forum use and recommend the following SpyBot S&D,Adaware,Spyware Blaster,a2squared,AVG and ZoneAlarm. All work very well together, and are available on free downloads or/and cover disks. You could look at this site for downloads and further advice click here I use all those mentioned,and so far they have worked to my total satisfaction.

Remember though, you safety and safeguards are only as good as the latest updates, so check on a regular daily basis, if possible.

Gem 11:12 02 Nov 04

Being somebody, who really doesn't have a clue about computers (apart from knowing how to use it for personal stuff like emails, word, etc.) - well, how do I have a chance in hell to make sure my computer is safe?

I just looked at the website 'spuds' suggested, but little old me doesn't know where to start.

I'm, totally confused!!!

rawprawn 11:24 02 Nov 04

Just download and update them and then run them. I am sure you will have no problems, but if you do post back here. Spybot click here Ad Aware click here and Spywareblaster click here

rômanab 14:36 02 Nov 04

Spywareguard click here compliments spywareblaster, and again, causes no conflicts.

spuds 16:52 02 Nov 04

If you want to add a2squared which is ideal for malware, then you can download a free version from click here [download button at botom of page]

If you do not have a firewall, then use ZoneAlarm click here

AntiVirus [AVG] click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…