Spybot and Ad-Aware

heavymetalkid 21:02 04 Mar 06

I'm beginning to doubt the worth of these two. Here's my regular experience. Update both and then run a Spybot scan....usually finds nothing. Ad Aware is a different beast. It always finds threats,usually tracking cookies. So, I duly remove them each time. However, next time I run a check (and this can be only a few hours later) despite doing nothing on the computer since then, there are more threats there. How can this be? Where are they coming from and how is it possible if I haven't used my machine? Finally, what's the point of removing threats if they return in a matter of hours? Can anyone help or advise?

gudgulf 21:22 04 Mar 06

Most sites you visit will drop tracking cookies on your pc.......this site for example!!

They want to know what adverts you click on for example.....remove them and do a bit of web surfing they will be back.

As for Adaware and Spybot S&D.........

Both worth keeping...it's always worth having more than one scanner as each will be able to detect different things.....and there is no one scanner that can detect all the malware out there.You can switch off scanning for trivial threats in Adaware if you want.

Spybot in particular is worth having......Explore its Advanced Mode and you willl find all manner of useful tools.Not to mention a SpywareBlaster type Immunise function and active IE protection.

heavymetalkid 21:41 04 Mar 06

Hello Gudgulf and thanks for the response. Just looked at the advanced mode and it says it contains certain things that may harm your computer. Could that be a problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017