Spybot and Ad-Aware

heidelberg 08:42 29 Jan 06

Looking through some back editions of another magazine recently, I came across a series of articles about spyware in general and Ad-Aware & Spybot in particular.

One opf the articles concluded with the following sentence "It's best not to run both Ad-Aware & Spybot on the same PC, although they can co-exist if you're prepared to do a little tweaking."

I run both apparently with no problems, and with no tweaking on my part.

Any thoughts on that?

Dave

ICF 08:58 29 Jan 06

Same here both working in Harmony :-)

VoG II 09:13 29 Jan 06

You don't need to do any tweaking. They co-exist perfectly happily.

Simsy 09:53 29 Jan 06

that the message has not been well conveyed...

The sentence, "It's best not to run both Ad-Aware & Spybot on the same PC", might be true if the phrase "at the same time" was also included.

The word "RUN" was used in the original sentence, rather than "INSTALLED" and that's why I think the wrong message has got through.

Having them both installed isn't a problem. Having them running, (i.e. scanning), simultaneously might be.

Neither of these programs, (as far as I am aware?), run "in the background", while the PC is running.

That is not the case with other programs such as antivirus and firewalls, (and I believe "Spywareblaster"). 2 antivirus progs may well clash with one another, unless tweaked, and so might 2 firewalls.

As usual, I'm open to correction!!

Regards,

Simsy

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:02 29 Jan 06

Agree with Simsy
Rules are:-
1 firewall
1 Antivirus
as much antispyware as you like

Adaware and spybot are a good combination especially with spywareblaster aswell.
Have installed then both on several PCs without problem just scan at different times.

john-232317 10:07 29 Jan 06

As above , had them for years no problem at all. I think if you ran any two similar programs at once you would end up with conflicts anyway.

heidelberg 10:38 29 Jan 06

As usual thanks to everyone.

Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now