Granddad Ray 09:28 20 Jun 06

On the recommendation of PC Advisor I have been using SpyBot. Initially everything was fine but now I find I cannot update it. Everytime I go to SpyBot's site and try to download the updates, I get the report "bad checksum". I got on to SpyBot and they said "Just keep trying". Has anybody else experienced this and is there a way round it?

Bald Eagle 09:45 20 Jun 06

I have had exactly the same problem. My download now is something like 2 Mb and every time it came up with bad checksum. Tried using a download manager because of length of time the download was taking but will not work. Got around it a few months ago by removing the program and using a download manager to reinstall the complete program but now I'm back to the same problem. Hence it is miles out of date. With Windows Defender is Spybot really needed?

jimv7 09:55 20 Jun 06

Use the drop down arrow beside the 'download from' and change the download site to 'safer networking #2 europe' this works for me, or try any of the other 5 sites from the menu.

spuds 09:57 20 Jun 06

Remove the programme, then re-install. Don't forget to check and download any latest additions, after re-installing.

Shortstop 09:57 20 Jun 06

On the download tab there is a button beside the 'search for updates' box that shows where you are downloading from. I changed this to Safer Networking #2' & now everything is OK.

Bald Eagle - I would say yes as they operate differently. WD will stop spyware being downloaded on your system but Spybot can check in case you have installed Spyware by installing another program [it may be bundled with anther program]. They also each tend to find things that the other can miss.

johndrew 15:03 20 Jun 06

This is a well discussed problem in these forums. It is caused by server overload at SaferNetworking (SpyBot`s home).

As Shortstop says, use another server or wait for a while until the number of people attempting to connect reduces. PCA advised another method of improving the service and that was to make a donation.

Bald Eagle 15:51 20 Jun 06

Just done as suggested,used #2 and it rattled down the wires! No bad checksum, cheers Grandad Ray for starting the topic. Believe it or not I'm a Grandad Ray also!

SANTOS7 15:54 20 Jun 06

Bad checksum errors just mean servers (victims of their popularity) are busy, leave it for a while then try again..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…