"Springs and things" - Laser transport solved

Diemmess 16:46 12 Sep 03

A now closed thread asked for help with my paper jams on an Espson EPL5800.

Having solved the problem of how to reach the rollers I couldn't clean them effectively and made no improvement.

Took a deep breath, ignored my Scottish ancestry and used Equinox's tech support line @£1.50 per minute. For well under a fiver the good news was clean the rubber pads under the roller wheels with a bit of damp cloth. How do I reach the pads tightly against the rollers?.......... "The pads are spring loaded and will push down for access."

It took 3 not 45 minutes this time to reach the spot, and not nearly so daunting once I realised I wasn't going to ding anything.

After fiddling with rag I gave the whole of each pad a good scrub with a cotton bud dipped in isopropyl alcohol, and having only had to remove plastic case sides and front this time, it was re-assembled in less than 5 minutes.

What mattered was it cured the trouble. I put a 10 blank page word doc straight through. ..... (Yes it does print as well, but I have a mean streak when it come to spending pennies, but downright stupid when it comes to pounds.)

The tech at Equinox explained that it is simply a build-up of paper dust which spoils the "stiction" of the stationery pads to the next sheet of paper, allowing other sheets to slip forward into the printing process.

I didn't need the abrasive paper or the hammer after all!

Jester2K II 16:51 12 Sep 03

"stiction"

lol

plankton 16:55 12 Sep 03

Well I hope you video'd this bit as well!! :o))

graham√ 16:56 12 Sep 03

I'm sure many readers will be grateful that you took the trouble to tell us of the outcome of your endeavours. Just a little confused by 'Laser' and 'Equinox' though.

Diemmess 16:58 12 Sep 03

Stiction.... "A tendency to adhere in a rather mobile situation" - A combination of stick and friction. (apparently not a banned word on this forum!)

Diemmess 17:07 12 Sep 03

This was a long thread closed this afternoon about paper jams in my Epson Laser.

Equinox is a Tewskesbury firm designated as an approved Epson repairer....... To be fair to them I received almost instant attention from tech support,and ample warning that their tech support line is a premium line.

graham√ 17:36 12 Sep 03

Once again, your feedback is an example that others should follow. Thankyou.

Legolas 19:05 12 Sep 03

Good to hear that your problem was resolved without resorting to any more banned words.;-} lol

seedie 19:10 12 Sep 03

Pleased to hear you got the problem sorted.

As it's FRi. I suppose you'll be having a wee dram the night to celebrate

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…