Spring Clean Restore Point?

J B 13:30 03 Apr 06

Just got finished doing a spring clean with Tweaknow reg cleaner pro, Ccleaner, disc cleanup, and defrag of HDD. I have read some where before but can't find it at the moment, that I should create a system restore point along with getting rid of all but my last restore point. Is this true, and if it is, what is the correct procedure for creating my own restore point? Any advice would be appreciated as well as bookmarked for future reference, thanks. J.B.

terryf 13:31 03 Apr 06

Go to Start>programs>accesories>system tools>system restore

VoG II 13:32 03 Apr 06

To create a restore point go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, system Tools, System Restore.

OR

Start, Run, type

c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

and click OK.

VoG II 13:32 03 Apr 06

Snap!

Pineman100 14:37 03 Apr 06

You can get rid of all your old restore points by switching off System Restore, and then switching it back on again. It does mean that, for a few minutes, you'll have no restore points, but it depends on how nervous that makes you.
To do this, go to Start>Control Panel>Performance & Maintenance>System. Click the System Restore tab, and then check the box marked "Turn off System Restore on all drives". Click Apply>OK.
The computer will then delete all old restore points and restart itself. Now go through the above procedure again, and this time uncheck the "Turn off System Restore..." checkbox. Now restart the computer again.
The system should now automatically create a new System Checkpoint. But for your peace of mind you might want to check this, and also create one for yourself if you want to, by following the route recommended by terryf and VoG above.

VoG II 14:41 03 Apr 06

Or you can remove all but the latest restore point using the More Options tab in Disk Cleanup (Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Cleanup).

€dstowe 15:01 03 Apr 06

Or Start -> Help & Support -> System Restore

€dstowe 15:03 03 Apr 06

I should have said: Don't rely on System Restore, it's often very temperamental in whether it works or if it does work, then lets you restore from it.

Always have a full proper backup of your system.

Stuartli 15:13 03 Apr 06

I've always found that System Restore only creates (more often than not) a restore point following software or hardware installations or uninstallations.

J B 16:24 03 Apr 06

Thankyou very much for the information, I think Iwill leave all system restore points alone and just create one myself showing the system cleanup I did earlier, that should suffice for the present time. J.B.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…