//some 3rd party need geo

Spoke too soon, No Hotmail again

pj123 15:42 29 Jun 05

See this thread: click here

The difference this time is he can't get into Hotmail at all on his computer. The status bar says "Done" but the screen is blank. "Hers" is fine. The hotmail page comes up OK and the Sign In boxes are there. That's not too bad until he has to respond to an email to which he has to attach a picture. The picture is on his PC and has to be saved to a CD and then taken to the other PC to be sent. Bit of a drag really. Anyone have any more ideas please?

All other pages/sites that he tries are fine. He has accessed all that are in his Favourites list without a problem, except Hotmail.

mattyc_92 15:45 29 Jun 05

I don't think that is has anything to do with Norton.... It is the Hotmail server.... I have had problems with it (even before I started using Norton)

Has your friend tried resetting his internet options? Clear the history, temp files (including offline files) and cookies... This should help.

pj123 16:13 29 Jun 05

mattyc_92, good point. We cleared the Cookies and Temp Internet files but not the History. Also, he doesn't have anything Norton on the PC anymore now anyway.

I will email him (on "hers" PC) and get him to clear the history and see if that makes a difference. Thanks.

mattyc_92 16:17 29 Jun 05

He may want to do the virus, adware, spyware scans (and check the configuartion for anti-spam programs if any)

pj123 16:47 29 Jun 05

mattyc_92, Thanks for your suggestions. History cleared, PC rebooted but still the same, a blank page for Hotmail. He has done a manual scan with AVG but no viruses found. Adaware found 4 objects, all deleted. Spybot found nothing. Is there a way to do a manual scan with ZoneAlarm?

Checked Internet Options but seems to be the same setup as on my PC (also running Win 98SE) and I get Hotmail no problem.

mattyc_92 16:57 29 Jun 05

Haven't used ZoneAlarm before, so I don't really know.

Has he tried creating another account (if he has set up Win98 for this, which can be very time consuming)? If not, have you tried an Internet Repair? click here (it's a long read)

VoG II 17:03 29 Jun 05

Check that it is not an errant entry in

C:\windows\hosts

If the hosts file exists, rename to hosts.txt, reboot and try Hotmail.

bruno 17:07 29 Jun 05

I don't know about the blank page bit but my mate and I are both having trouble with forwarding pictures in e mails.They arrive at the other end minus the pics.I have contacted Hotmail about it,but they answered something I did not ask(in great detail).When I pointed this out there was a deafening silence.I suspect it has something to with the TREND anti virus Hotmail are using.I can send the same e mail through my other addresses.

pj123 17:28 29 Jun 05

VoG™, just checked on mine and I have C:\windows which is hosts.sam and C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\net\WIN98SE\ which is also hosts.sam

and also C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Includes\ which is hosts.sbs

I can access Hotmail no problem. I will get him to rename the hosts.sam to hosts.txt and see what happens.

VoG II 17:30 29 Jun 05

No, not hosts.sam. hosts with no file extension.

pj123 18:16 29 Jun 05

VoG™, don't have a folder called hosts or even a file called hosts without an extension

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…