Splitting a network in 3

BigBazza66 19:53 12 Jul 08

I've got a small LAN of 8 machines all wireless that I want to split into 3 seperate groups for security reasons.

Is this possible using 1 router (NETGEAR DG834N).

At the moment the router is 192.168.0.1 and is set to DHCP. Am I right in thinking I will have to create a new subnet so that I can have 3 seperate ranges and set all machines to use static ip's ?

Any advice appreciated.

brundle 21:39 12 Jul 08

255.255.255.192 for 4 ranges with 62 addresses each. I doubt the Netgear will allow or see anything but the first range though, the static addresses you set up in the other subnets will probably be ignored too. You need more routers or a managed switch that supports VLANs.

brundle 22:00 12 Jul 08

Sorry, make that 255.255.255.224, 6 ranges, 30 addresses each. 192 only leaves 2 ranges.

irishrapter 16:15 13 Jul 08

As far as I know with this set-up you will have a problem with any of the subnets that are no long on the default gateway address of 192.168.0.1.
They will no longer see the router and therefore can not get internet access.

Jim_F 12:24 14 Jul 08

You could use the DHCP facility to reserve IP addresses or create static routes for each machine but I don't see that either option would ensure security - the router is there to hide your machines from the internet - not from each other and its very easy to change an IP address if thats the only protection.

For this situation I'd apply security policies to each macine to restrict access to specific users or users on specific machines so that you share resources by password and then only to specific users.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017