Splitting long documents in Word

daveworthington 14:13 29 Feb 04

I am working on a long document - currently 32 pages - in Word 2000. As a sideline I would like to produce this as a web document but would like to split it up into a number of separate pages. Does anyone know an easier way of doing this than cutting and pasting page by page?

As Word thinks that it is cleverer than me there should be a way but I can't find it.

Diemmess 15:31 29 Feb 04

Seeing your thread disappearing down the page goads me into keeping it alive at least.

Quick answer from me -- I don't know of a method which does what you wish for. I'm not into constructing websites either.

However, if you really intend to separate the pages then with only 32 it is not the end of the world to make a copy document and tinker with the best arrangement for a web display.

There is also the possibility of conversion to .pdf , though you will either need an index, or split the original into as many .pdf files as you need to show them separately.

dth 15:37 29 Feb 04

It is quite easy to copy over into a webpage and put links within the page so that viewers can jump to the relevant sections - without the need to scroll down (or up).

Try posting in the WebDesign forum.

daveworthington 17:46 01 Mar 04

^

slightlymad 23:49 01 Mar 04

UP we go!

Not interested in the web page bit, but I also would like to know how to split a long document into separate pages.

scotty 09:15 02 Mar 04

Do you have the ability to convert the Word doc to pdf?

If so, the pdf version will use the Table of Contents info from the Word doc as bookmarks. You can display the pdf file in a web page and use the bookmarks to quickly jump to different parts of the document. You can see what this method of navigation will be like by displaying the document map in Word (select View\Document Map). This may be preferable to splitting the document.

Stuartli 10:28 02 Mar 04

As Word can also be used to create Web pages why not work on a copy of your doucment in Word on a web page basis?

scotty 10:52 02 Mar 04

I would not recommend this as you will run into formatting problems particularly if it is not just simply text in the document.

daveworthington 14:36 02 Mar 04

Many thanks all - discovered the formatting probs - it's all to do with Microsoft producing apps that meld seamlessly!

I'll try the .pdf route - anything for new experiences.

I won't tick 'resolved' just yet - somewhere there may be a Word guru biding his time.

Taff36 15:32 02 Mar 04

Not quite sure what you want to do? You have 32 pages of text so far and you "would like to produce this as a web document but would like to split it up into a number of separate pages" - Do you mean for example 4 documents of 8 pages for viewing or download?

If viewing or download I suggest PDF files but if you don`t have the full version of Adobe Acrobat I`m not sure the freebies like PDF Factory will do it for you as the others have described. In any event you will still end up with the same number of pages.

Give me a little more idea of what and perhaps why you want to do something to the document.

Stuartli 15:44 02 Mar 04

ABBY FineReader 7.0 can handle and edit .pdf files - a free copy of version 5 (also needs a big update from the website) was on the PCW cover disk for January.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac