Spilled Soda on ext. hard drive

toddinav 05:04 11 Nov 07

I have an external hard drive (Maxtor U01E100 ) I spilled about a 1/2 cp of Mountain Dew on it.The actual hard drive is covered with a gray plastic case. There are a couple small vents at the top and bottom, where some liquid got inside. I quickly unpluged the hard drive and opened the gray plastic case to expose the hard drive. I took a blower to it carefully for about 10 min. Because of the sugar, everything is sticky. Should I take some alcohol on a rag and wipe down circuit on bottom of hard drive before I plug back in?

ambra4 05:38 11 Nov 07

The answer is yes using rubbing alcohol clean as must of the Mountain Dew from the circuit board using a damp cloth, let it dry property and reconnect

Good luck hope it still working

toddinav 06:10 11 Nov 07

No rubbing alcohol...it's Sat. night and drinking a screwdriver, will VODKA work? Bloody Mary's in the morning will have to wait.

johnnyrocker 09:08 11 Nov 07

a good remedy for spillage on pc's in my tv days was to do as you have and a wash down with WD40 ( subject to no fragile plastics) usually worked a treat.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 09:12 11 Nov 07

just re read and it is not a motherboard ( too early doh ) may not be the best advice in that case

johnny.

DieSse 10:09 11 Nov 07

You can safely wash it with water (most circuit boards these days are cleaned with water during manufacturing). Water will dissolve the sugar and residues better than alcohol.

You will need to dry it very thoroughly before using, of course - overnight in a warm place (airing cupboard for instance) should do just fine.

Nothing can get inside the drive itself - so it's external gunge you will be cleaning off.

You can do the same to the inside of the external case similarly.

DieSse 10:10 11 Nov 07

PS - it may already be too late if the drive was powered up when the liquid went in - so keep your fingers crossed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…