SPF records - where to put them?

justjill 19:37 PM 12 Apr 09

I've been having trouble with emails I send to hotmail accounts bouncing. My web hosts sent me a link to a Microsoft article and I've now sorted out an SPF text file but I have no idea where to put it. Does anyone have any ideas?!

Many thanks :)

Kemistri 16:06 PM 13 Apr 09

You need to assign the SPF to your Domain Name Server's TXT record. You should be able to do this from within the control panel that relates to your domain name, which is accessible on your registrar's website. Ask your registrar/host for specific instructions for domain management if you need them.

Kemistri 02:16 AM 15 Apr 09

Was wondering if that helped. Did you get assistance from your host? Still stuck?

justjill 07:07 AM 15 Apr 09

Hello. Thanks for the reply. Still a bit stuck, to be honest! I've had a look for something resembling a DNS txt record but can't find one. I emailed the hosts yesterday for help but not heard back yet - par for the course with them!

walesrob 09:53 AM 19 Apr 09

justjill

Who is your webhost?

justjill 10:43 AM 19 Apr 09

It's Hostroute

walesrob 20:41 PM 19 Apr 09

Just had a quick look round Hostroute, couldn't find what I was looking for without opening an account with them.

Do you have web hosting with Hostroute? If so, are you using CPanel (Control Panel) which looks like: click here ?

justjill 20:48 PM 19 Apr 09

I am using CPanel, yes.

walesrob 21:07 PM 19 Apr 09

Ok, log into the Cpanel.

Under subsection "Mail", click on Email Authentication.

First ensure SPF is "Enabled". Now, I'm assuming you ONLY send email from your webhost? If so, put a tick in the All Entry (ALL)*. If not, insert the host name in the relevant sections, then tick the ALL Entry*. Then UPDATE changes.

You should then get an output just below the subheading "SPF", it should look something like this: v=spf1 a mx ip4:74.63.XXX.XX -all*.

Post back if you need any further clarification.

* I don't recommend using this function due to the problem with mail you send that is forwarded by the recipient. Using the ?all spf action is considered more flexible.

Good luck!

justjill 22:13 PM 19 Apr 09

Too late at night to try that out but it sounds good to me! Many thanks for taking the time to reply :) I shall report back tomorrow!

justjill 07:21 AM 20 Apr 09

Thank tou so much! I've just done that and it only took a few seconds to do. Now I just need to wait for a hotmailer to come along to test it.

Thanks ever so much :)

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…