Spelling test after school today

Forum Editor 08:19 05 Jun 04

I get lots of email, and one of the common questions is why we don't have a spell-checker on the site. Unfortunately, if we included all the gizmos that people asked for the poor server would be so overloaded it would never be able to get out of bed in the morning.

I thought it might be helpful therefore,to have another reminder that there's an excellent little utility (free download) that will check your spelling from within your browser. Just install it, type your text into the forum and click the icon on your browser tool bar.

Many forum members already use ieSpell - one of the handiest little things around.

click here

Tony uk 08:28 05 Jun 04

Thanks FE my spelllin isn't that good so i'll download and try it.

Hmm you would'nt happen to know of a program to remind me to use it would you as my memory is going also

Thanks anyway

Forum Editor 08:37 05 Jun 04

is a problem - see some of my posts. Most people who (like me) learnt to type with two fingers instead of the 'proper' way produce regular and predictable typos. It's to do with the way that we type common words - we type them so often that we don't need to concentrate on the keyboard, or at least we think we don't, so one of our fingers habitually hits a wrong key. In my case one of the problem words is 'mind' - you'll see me typing 'miond' or 'mond'. Other regular forum users have their own problem words, and over the years I have come to know them well. Because we're confident that we haven't made any mistakes we don't spell-check, neither do we see the obvious typos until we re-read our posts on the forum. Too late then.

This has been checked, miond you.

Tony uk 09:02 05 Jun 04

Tony uk 09:26 05 Jun 04

FE i've downloaded it and hopefully my spelling will improve.

just one thing,i actually thought my spelling was worse than i'd imagined at first,untill i realised in settings i was using the us dictionary

changed it to uk and all seems well now.

Thanks again

PS if your using opera browser you can download a spell checker from here click here

Tony uk 09:59 05 Jun 04

and a pre compiled dictionary for the aspell program can be downloaded here click here

Stuartli 10:15 05 Jun 04

The FE has us under his spell....:-)

Bagsey 10:18 05 Jun 04

There are some good pills on the market to help maintain your memory, called GINKO BILOBA they are excellent, but I forget to take mine.

Tony uk 10:20 05 Jun 04

lmao @Bagsey

Valvegrid 10:22 05 Jun 04

For those not using IE, there's this one:

click here

BTW, it works on anything.

Nosmas 10:23 05 Jun 04

I've been using ieSpell for some time now and find it very useful. Even if your spelling is normally OK, it's the typos caused by finger trouble that need to be dealt with.

One of my pet hates is spelling errors, and good as ieSpell is, unfortunately neither it nor any other program I know of will point out grammatical errors - there - their - they're or too - to - two etc. etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…