Speedtouch546 v netgear dg834

guesswho2 10:40 09 Oct 08

I'm thinking of replacing my TalkTalk speedtouch 330 USB with one with an ethernet connection in the hope that it would establish my internet connection more easily..
I noticed the 546 mentioned in a previous thread and since that's a lot cheaper than the Netgear, I wondered what sort of reputation it has?
As an old chap, I'm just looking for the simplest, preferably wired, way of connecting to the internet.

Pineman100 15:38 09 Oct 08

I'd be surprised if you will really notice any significant speed difference between an ethernet-connected router and your USB modem. If you're going to this expense just to use a different connection cable, I doubt that it's worth it.

As one old chap to another ;o)

chub_tor 17:12 09 Oct 08

You may not get a speed increase but by using a router you have the option of being permanently on line. This will give you a more stable connection. I'm a Netgear man myself and have not used the Speedtouch 546 Router but just looking at the spec it seems OK.

I presume that your PC has an Ethernet connector as you will need this as well as an Ethernet cable to go from the router to the PC. You will also need to know your TalkTalk Username and Password to put into the router's settings.

guesswho2 20:59 09 Oct 08

Thanks Pineman100 and chub_tor for your comments. I've been under the impression until a few minutes ago that an ethernet connection would be much quicker than USB, but it seems that I'm wrong! I'll have to mull over this now.
Thanks again Keep well old pal!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced