speedtouch to live box

bluerenaultman 13:54 18 Nov 07

Hi, I am currently with Orange broadband using a speedtouch adsl modem and want to upgrade to live box. The info on line says I need an ethernet port but I dont seem to have one on my Acer laptop (its fairly old) Is it possible to still go to livebox? if so do i need laptop "rebuilt" or can i add an ethernet port? also my comps not wifi so do i just by a wireless adapter? I would like to get facts before i jump in and upgrade.Many thanks!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:10 18 Nov 07

1. you need to set the livebox with your username and password this is usually done by connecting by cable first and then configuring the wireless.
However orange say you can connect to the wireless first.

2. I use a wireless adaptor in an old laptop to connect to a livebox OK.

You can by a PCMCA card with ethernet connection to fit the laptop if you have card slots.
But this is expensive just to set username and password in the router.
Do you have a desktop?
Can you get a mate with a laptop with ethernet port to come round while you set up the livebox?

bluerenaultman 15:20 18 Nov 07

Hi,Thanks for the reply,
Yes I have a desktop (an old Dell one)just looked on the back of that and this does nt seem to have an ethernet connection either!!Seems pointless to buy a PCMA card with ethernet connection just to set up username/password in router.So I guess best to find someone with ethernet laptop!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…