Speedtouch B/Band - 'DNS not responding'

pppc 16:49 01 Sep 04

I am (still) running Windows 98SE. I have recently upgraded to Speedtouch Broadband.

On attempting to connect after a reboot I almost invariably fail, getting 'Dial Up Network Server not responding'. I then reboot; I am likely to see 'No dial tone'. A further reboot will see me able to reconnect quite happily.

Has anybody any idea what is causing the DNS not responding message.

I have three extensions on the line (apart from the data line). I have a filter at the computer end. I cannot use any other filters; any combination I add will cause a permanent 'No dial tone'. Removing any of the extensions does not seem to help, except that perhaps removing the computer end extension gives a permanent 'NO dial tone'.

The voice signal is weak but usable and dropping off any extension(s) again makes no difference.

Peter C

bretsky 17:13 01 Sep 04

You must wait until the modem has synchronised with the adsl, two solid green lights this can take from 1-10 mins.

Try unplugging all your extns except the computer and see what happens, inotherwords, a straight feed from your B/T socket via a filter to your modem.

No dial tone sounds like a device is already in use such as a fax/answer machine or a loose connection.

bretsky ;0)

CurlyWhirly 17:25 01 Sep 04

I don't use an Speedtouch ADSL modem I use a BT Voyager 100 ADSL modem however I think my experience may give you a hint!
When I first had broadband 15 months ago I kept getting 'DNS server is unreachable or unavailable' errors and when I contacted my ISP (who gave the modem away as an incentive to upgrade from dial-up) they suggested that I download a newer modem driver from the BT website which I did and since then I have had no more problems apart from the occasional connection glitch which disconnects me but I am normally able to get back online within a minute or two.
CW

bretsky 17:31 01 Sep 04

Update driver click here

bretsky ;0)

pppc 17:59 01 Sep 04

Bretsky

I have downloaded and unzipped the file you pointed at. What do I run to upgrade the drive - there are half a dozen .EXE files!!!

I have tried removing extensions and it made no difference - I'd get 'no dial tone' followed by ability to connect. And there is a satisfactory tone on all the phones whatever the connection box says.

CurlyWhirly

You will see that with Bretsky's help I amattempting to upgrade the driver.

Many thanks to you both for the responses.

PC

pppc 17:59 01 Sep 04

Bretsky

I have downloaded and unzipped the file you pointed at. What do I run to upgrade the drive - there are half a dozen .EXE files!!!

I have tried removing extensions and it made no difference - I'd get 'no dial tone' followed by ability to connect. And there is a satisfactory tone on all the phones whatever the connection box says.

CurlyWhirly

You will see that with Bretsky's help I amattempting to upgrade the driver.

Many thanks to you both for the responses.

PC

Dorsai 18:27 01 Sep 04

as you have BB, there is always a dial tone on the phone, if you are on line or not.

When you turn the PC on it will take the BB modem a while to synchronise with the BB line.

there are two lights on most USb BB modems.

On my speed touch, one for USB connection, and one for ADSL.

you have to wait for them both to stop flashing, and go continiouslty green before the PC can connect. If either is red, or flashing, you will have to wait for them to go green, and stop flashing. just give it time.

Dorsai 18:32 01 Sep 04

as you have BB, there is always a dial tone on the phone, if you are on line or not.

When you turn the PC on it will take the BB modem a while to synchronise with the BB line.

there are two lights on most USb BB modems.

On my speed touch, one for USB connection, and one for ADSL.

you have to wait for them both to stop flashing, and go continiouslty green before the PC can connect. If either is red, or flashing, you will have to wait for them to go green, and stop flashing. just give it time.

bretsky 00:43 02 Sep 04

Yes, as Dorsai says, you should hear a dial tone on a B/B connection, silly me.

Try this go to IE>tools>Internet options>connections tab, make sure you see speedtouch connection {default}

click on "never dial a connection" radio button then click on the LAN settings and in the window click on " automatically detect settings" then ok it.

This will bring back to the internet ops window {connections tab} again, now click on settings {below remove}and check your user name and password info, this has to be letter perfect as well as case sensitive, when you have done that click properties and you should now see under the general tab "ISDN channel speedtouch usb ADSL PPP" check this box.

Now move to the networking tab and make sure that Internet protocol{TCP/IP} and QoS Packet Scheduler are checked then ok>ok then apply ok

These are the instructions the tech support gave me at Wdoo for my speedtouch 330 usb modem.

good luck

bretsky ;0)

bretsky 01:12 02 Sep 04

If you select properties of your modem, click on the driver version, this should be 301.0.0.12 or similar then you should be ok.{trying to save you any unnecessary work}

bretsky ;0)

pppc 07:46 02 Sep 04

Bretsky

Thanks for assistance.

After previous help I tried waiting after rebooting for the modem to stabilise and that seems to work a treat.

'Properties' of the modem under both the Control Panel icon and in Device Manager do not give a driver version at all.

I tried the longer susggestion and have set 'Automatic detection', but again I do not see an "ISDN channel....." to set.

I still don't know how to install the driver update I downloaded.

I seem to be fairly stable - a number of phone calls in and out last evening failed to disturb things - so I'll live with what I have for a while and see how it goes.

Many thanks again - I do appreciate the help.

Peter C

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…