speedtouch 585 wireless problems

ericmccreedy 15:16 12 Jun 06

I have tried to set up a wireless network for shared internet access with Speedtouch 585 router and 120g USB cards, but get very low signal level of 20% whenever the pair are in adjacent rooms or if one is upstairs and one downstairs. If the pc and router are in the same room there is no problem getting an internet connection, signal level shows 100%. Is the idea of wireless that you can use it in various rooms? not just have the PCs in one room, or do I need to boost the signal power with a 9db antenna?

ade.h 16:44 12 Jun 06

1) How thick are the walls/floors and from what material are they constructed?

2) What - if any - sources of interference are between the router and client? Bodies of water, microwave ovens, DECT phones, powerful electrical devices, other radio transceivers?

ericmccreedy 10:04 13 Jun 06

Walls are about 18inches thick stone, and floors are of timber construction, but we have no problems using Dect or mobile phones in the house, so was surprised at the poor signal with wireless network. I have tried switching off the dect phone system to no advantage.
Would it be worth buying a high gain antenna for the router ?

ade.h 15:51 13 Jun 06

Your construction is unlikely to present a major issue for most DECT handsets, but almost certainly will prevent a router from functioning properly. 18" of solid stone is just too much. An aerial - or perhaps a series of access points - may help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…