SpeedTouch 576 Router - cannot connect to Aol

angeltears 12:05 16 Jul 06

Hi Im new so hello everyone!

I just purchased a speedtouch 576 router from AOL. I want to connect it wirelessly to my laptop, and this is my only computer. So far I have managed to set up a wired connection but when I take out the yellow enthernet cable the laptop will not connect to AOL.

I have tried talking to AOL, they are useless! I downloaded the XPSP2 and that solved the 'little or no connectivity issue'. I used the supposedly 'easy setup' cd aol gave me. But from reading another post here;

click here

I might be having a trouble with the internal adapter in my laptop. I cannot find the software for it. My laptop is an acer aspire 1680.

Someone please help, im ripping my hair out!

Carly

deadmoney 23:46 16 Jul 06

Dear All,

Hope you can give some advice for this annoying problem, I have a compaq laptop which i plugged in a wireless adaptor (linksys 2.4ghz) and installed it using the set-up disc.

I have a Speedtouch 576 modem with the built in router on my desktop and I have 1mb DSL hardwired to this.
Now, the laptop "finds" the speedtouch network, but it will not browse??? I took it to my friends computer shop and it works fine he uses a (linksys router, Incompatibility?) but here is the kicker, my friend came over and we switched off the modem to reset and it "found" the laptop on the network AND we got it to browse for a couple of seconds before it stopped again??? Ugh.

We have tried all the usual things:

a) Made network unsecure
b) made sure that the 10 digit security number was installed
c) reset
d) uninstalled
e) reinstalled

Distance is not an issue (5ft) The frustating thing is it works at my friends store and to repeat my self we DID get it working well ....albeit for about 2 pages then it stopped.

I am at the point of either buying a "speedtouch" notebook adapter OR getting a linksys router, something I do not want to do.

But why would it , work well for a few seconds then stop?

Regards David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009