Speedtouch 330 Modem not recognised.

Lord Isleworth 11:07 08 Aug 05

Please help, friend has a new laptop running XP. Tried to connect his speedtouch modem to the laptop and phone line and doesn't want to play. The software loads and then when you plug the usb modem into the laptop it says, device not found" been through the Dr something diagnostic tool and it says there is a problem with the modem, but doesn't say the problem. I plugged the modem into my Dell 5000 and again same error message saying device not recognised. Is it safe to assume the modem is faulty or is there something I can do to configure the laptop to get it working. I previously installed the same type of modem on a desktop pc with no such problem, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jon

howard60 21:28 09 Aug 05

same error on different machines would indicate a faulty modem to me

Funkey 17:04 10 Aug 05

Speedtouch modems have been known to draw more power from usb ports than the pc's can supply. However in this instance it might be a simple case that the modem is indeed faulty.

If you're running XP, and to double check if the modem is indeed faulty - uninstall the drivers, unplug the modem, reboot the pc, log into the desktop and plug the modem in without installing drivers. If the modem is being detected correctly, you should get a "Add New Hardware" wizard appear and (if your speakers are plugged in) you should also hear a DING-DING sound. This proves that a new usb device (i.e. the modem) has been recognised as being plugged in. If you dont get any indication of a new device, then its very possible the modem is faulty.

Lastly, you haven't said whether this modem has EVER worked properly, so one could also suggest that you try a newer version of the drivers from alcatel's website: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…