Speedtest. net result is very jerky.

john bunyan 12:39 PM 17 Jun 13
Answered

I use Speedtest.net to check my ISP speed. I am getting about 9.5 to 10 mbps on a 8mbps package, which is fine (Pipex - Talk Talk). However these days, when I do the test, the ping is smooth but the download speed result is very jerky the needle jumps around (up to 50 mbps)then quite low. A final result is declared at 9.9 or so. I wonder why it seems to exhibit this behaviour whereas a while ago it was quite smooth?

Woolwell 12:46 PM 17 Jun 13

I wonder if it is the test server. Have you tried a different one after the first test?

john bunyan 13:05 PM 17 Jun 13

Thanks. Tried another server - same result. I have noticed that my phone line (only me to a telegraph post just outside gate) is being a bit battered by tree branches. The owner of the lane is difficult to contact, and the join in the line is high (about 25 meters ). Openreach do not clear branches on private land, so I will see if I can use my extending clipper to do something.

LastChip 13:10 PM 17 Jun 13
Answer

Don't get paranoid about speed tests. They will vary throughout the day (second by second) depending upon how much traffic is on the Internet at any given time.

If I had your average speed, I'd be be very happy indeed. So if I were you, I'd sit back and enjoy what you've got.

john bunyan 13:22 PM 17 Jun 13

LastChip

Thanks, I will!

Mr Mistoffelees 13:56 PM 17 Jun 13

I don't think there is any such thing as truly reliable and accurate online BB speed tester.

john bunyan 16:00 PM 17 Jun 13

Jock1e

That one gave 1. A speed of 31000kbps 2. A speed of 16000kbps, Again the needle was jerky. Think I will not worry and stick to my usual speedtest.net, as the bbmax one is surely too optimistic.Thanks anyway.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites