speeding pc up

Bailey08787 13:10 20 Feb 03

i'm eager to get my pc performing at its best.

I have a P4 1.8, XP Pro, 256 rdram, Leadtek 4400 Ti 128mb graphics card - and a Seagate 80gb hard drive

just wondering whether partitioning the hard drive increases performance noticeably or not. At the moment its in its full 80gb glory.

jazzypop 13:46 20 Feb 03

Partitioning your drive will not increase the speed at which your PC runs.

Lú-tzé 13:55 20 Feb 03

click here for general tips.

click here to decrease boot time

click here for XP tweaks.

Just be careful.

PS there can be many benefits to partitioning your hdd, especially in light of its current size. For one thing, you can keep data and the OS separate; for another you can have a separate partition for backups and drive images / ghosts.

JoeC 14:09 20 Feb 03

click here

to cut out unnecessary "services " and also download BootVis from Microsoft to get faster boot times.

JoeC 14:10 20 Feb 03

click here

for things like taking out Messenger and Netmeeting, plus lots of other goodies. : }

worf 14:48 20 Feb 03

Go here and have alook at speeding up Windows XP Services. It may well reduce your boot time etc.
click here

froggg 20:14 20 Feb 03

more memory-double up.also make sure hd is not on same cable as cdroms-use ata100 cable.

Gaz 25 20:48 20 Feb 03

click here

Hope it helps.

Shanks69 22:15 20 Feb 03

the Intel application accelarator utility, off the Intel site (sorry to state the obvious).

Can be installed if your motherboard type is one of those specified. I installed it and my pc's still working and seems faster.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…