Speed on a wireless connection?

nick_j007 17:40 08 Feb 04

Hello all,

I am in the early stages of planning a loft conversion, and would probably get a PC up there too. In an effort to avoid loads of wires I was thinking of going 'wireless'.
I run Freeserve broadband downstairs. My question is...is going wireless my best bet or do you really recommend hard wiring the new set up? I live out in the sticks abit so security is of no concern there.
Also, what sort of speed would I achieve on the second wireless PC? let's assume the downstairs PC is off and not using any of the available bandwidth. I get 512 Kbps at the moment. Would it be quick enough for on-line gaming for example?

Many thanks in advance for any insight.

Nick

powerless 17:52 08 Feb 04

Will depend upon what is between the loft and the downstairs, 2 Ceilings/floors, steel beams, brick etc as to how fast and effective a wireless setup would work.

If it is perfect than you will have the same speeds as wired network [for the internet] and any inference will hinder speed on the wireless.

512k is quick for gaming.

Only way to know is to try it.

But a wired network will give you faster speeds in the home network. The intenret will be the same @ 512K.

nick_j007 18:07 08 Feb 04

Hmmm,

I accept fully your point about the physical obstructions, but that never crossed my mind! I would have thought though that the speed would be undeterred by walls etc!
If both PC's were on line at the same time would it simply be a case of them sharing that band width down the middle?

Thanks,

Nick

powerless 19:41 08 Feb 04

"If both PC's were on line at the same time would it simply be a case of them sharing that band width down the middle?"

Yes.

nick_j007 20:00 08 Feb 04

ok, many thanks :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…