speed test for broadband

BIGXXH 21:16 12 Jul 13
Answered

Hi All

Please could anybody out there give me a reliable speed test website as my broadband seems to be going slower and slower and i need a good speed test and a reliable one to tell my provider what my actual speed is,i know that it fluctuates with the traffic on the line and how far from the exchange but i am only 150 yards from the exchange and it's slow 2.9Mbs that's the average

Thanks in Advance

BIGXXH
  rdave13 21:26 12 Jul 13

Without knowing your supplier,

BT

Otherwise speedtest isn't too bad as you can choose which server you download from.

spuds 00:46 13 Jul 13

The two suggested above are usually recommended by ISP's for checking purpose for their reliability.

I also use JD's Auto Speed Tester, which works well and also stores information.

nickf 00:53 13 Jul 13

Speedtest.net , works for me , seems to be pretty spot on too .

BIGXXH 11:51 13 Jul 13

Hi All

Sorry a bit late getting back to you but thanks for the help.Have got two speeds now with which i can argue that my speed is low.

Thanks Again 

BIGXXH
  spuds 12:07 13 Jul 13
Answer

BT OpenReach should be able to supply the 'line capacity' speed, giving a better indication to what you should get or expect. All ISP's have to provide information to the speeds they can supply, and not the old method or promises of 'upto'.

I had a number of speed and connection problems, the ISP stated that there was nothing wrong, yet they were stating the line or package was 'upto' 10MB, I was very lucky to get 1MB at tops. BT OpenReach became involved, and said the line was capable of 6MB maximum. After quite a lot of communications, BT, the ISP (TalkTalk) did a lot of work on lines and equipment, plus constant checks, and I eventually got the 6MB promised, and still do on most occasions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac