speed test for broadband

BIGXXH 21:16 12 Jul 13
Answered

Hi All

Please could anybody out there give me a reliable speed test website as my broadband seems to be going slower and slower and i need a good speed test and a reliable one to tell my provider what my actual speed is,i know that it fluctuates with the traffic on the line and how far from the exchange but i am only 150 yards from the exchange and it's slow 2.9Mbs that's the average

Thanks in Advance

BIGXXH
  rdave13 21:26 12 Jul 13

Without knowing your supplier,

BT

Otherwise speedtest isn't too bad as you can choose which server you download from.

spuds 00:46 13 Jul 13

The two suggested above are usually recommended by ISP's for checking purpose for their reliability.

I also use JD's Auto Speed Tester, which works well and also stores information.

nickf 00:53 13 Jul 13

Speedtest.net , works for me , seems to be pretty spot on too .

BIGXXH 11:51 13 Jul 13

Hi All

Sorry a bit late getting back to you but thanks for the help.Have got two speeds now with which i can argue that my speed is low.

Thanks Again 

BIGXXH
  spuds 12:07 13 Jul 13
Answer

BT OpenReach should be able to supply the 'line capacity' speed, giving a better indication to what you should get or expect. All ISP's have to provide information to the speeds they can supply, and not the old method or promises of 'upto'.

I had a number of speed and connection problems, the ISP stated that there was nothing wrong, yet they were stating the line or package was 'upto' 10MB, I was very lucky to get 1MB at tops. BT OpenReach became involved, and said the line was capable of 6MB maximum. After quite a lot of communications, BT, the ISP (TalkTalk) did a lot of work on lines and equipment, plus constant checks, and I eventually got the 6MB promised, and still do on most occasions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…