speed up start menu

broggs 21:45 23 Jul 04

In the past I have used a program or whatever to speed up the start up menu etc in windows.I have lost the details over the years.Does anyone know how to do this?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:13 23 Jul 04

Use a startup manager WinPatrol click here

Have a look at service configurations at click here

hugh-265156 22:15 23 Jul 04

click 'start/run' and type 'regedit'

navigate to 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\ Desktop\MenuShowDelay'

the default value is 400. set to a value lower than this to speed it up. i set mine to 0.

broggs 11:30 24 Jul 04

cheers huggy thats the one I want but I can't find it.

tonyx1302 13:13 24 Jul 04

Hi Huggy71. I have tried to set my default value lower as per your suggestions but could not to navigate to Menu Show Delay. Have I missed something out? Could you please explain it again please.

hugh-265156 21:48 24 Jul 04

sorry for the delay in replying Breitling.

i do not have much experience with win 2k but im almost certain that the reg entry is the same for this as per win xp.

navigate to 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\ Desktop' and click the desktop folder. 'MenuShowDelay' will be listed in the right hand side pane. double click it and enter a value of less than 400 in the 'value data' box and click ok.

if 'MenuShowDelay' is not listed in the right pane then just add it manually.

in any blank area of the right hand side pane, right click and choose 'new/string value' enter 'MenuShowDelay' as a name in the box that says 'New Value #1' the click this and add the value.

hope that helps.

tonyx1302 22:05 24 Jul 04

Thanks for response huggy71. I have tried and tried your format but can only get as far as clicking on Desktop. After that the Menu Show Display isn't listed as you suggest but I will go onto the second part of your instructions and will let you know how I get on.
Thanks again huggy71

tonyx1302 22:19 24 Jul 04

Hi huggy71. I'm back covered in embarrassment! I couldn't see the wood for the trees. I gave your idea one last chance and MenuShowDelay was there all the time but I kept missing it!!!! It had a value of 165 and I did as you and changed it to 0 and so far so good.
Have a good night. You've done your good deed for the day
Thanks again

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:48 24 Jul 04

thanks for the tip
slow start menu really bugs me

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…