speed up slow computer

coolteentom 19:03 15 Sep 04

I have got a really slow computer (368 MHz, 64 MB RAM)

This means that it takes about 5 minutes just to load up. The computer is only really used for Word Processing, Email and internet.

Would it be a good idea to make three seperate user accounts. One that has Microsoft Word, another which has Internet Explorer and Microsoft Outlook, and one which has all of them incase I need to use two both at the same time?

Also, would it be possible to take of Internet Explorer etc., and maybe even lower the resolution for the word processing account.

Windows 98 SE

Thanks, tom

Tim1964 19:20 15 Sep 04

The best 'bang for buck'would be more ram. At least another 128Mb. You'll really notice the difference.

The proceesor speed is OK for what you use it for. A format (if not done already) will clear out all the bits left that are clogging up the drive.

The User Account idea won't make any difference, it's ulimately all down to the RAM.

For e.g , my old work laptop took 45mins to fully load up one day and it turned out to be a strip of RAM had come loose droppping down to 16Mb!!

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:23 15 Sep 04

Try cleaning out all your temp. files. Download Ccleaner click here and regseeker click here. Run adaware to make sure that there are no data miners etc. click here

Then go to start-run and type msconfig...go to startup and untick anything that is not needed. Go to control panel-add/remove progs and delete anyhting that is not needed. Finally defrag your HD.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:28 15 Sep 04

Tim1964's idea is another good one and more RAM would speed you up immensely. You will probably be able to put up to 512mb extra and here will tell you how .....click here

G

coolteentom 19:38 15 Sep 04

Thanks for your extremely helpful advice Tim1964 and GANDALF <|:-)>.

I will have a go at these things, and hopefully upgrade the RAM soon.

Cheers,

tom

coolteentom 20:33 30 Sep 04

I am not sure which upgrade to get - the computer was fixed and the mobo was upgraded by a friend a few years ago.

This has made it harder to work out which upgrade to get. The system is made by Time Computers, but I think the mobo is Fujitsu Siemens.

The Crucial System Scanner on the Crucial website does not work, but on Belarc Advisor I get:

SYSTEM MODEL - Asset Tag: ASS-9876543210

I do not know how to work out which upgrade I need.

Any help appreciated,

tom

Completealias 15:10 01 Oct 04

You could open the case and look for your mobo model number + manufacturer.

When you've got this do a search at click here. or just google it.

Once you got a manual for your mobo you will be able to find out what RAM it takes.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:34 01 Oct 04

Belarc advisor click here
Run this to find out what is fitted in your PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…