Speed up PC

gav223 08:52 04 Jul 09

Hi.

Could someone please advise the best way for me to speed up my PC and Laptop.

The things I have done so far are:

Installed and run the following:

AVG free
Adaware
Spybot
Ccleaner
Uniblue Speedupmypc 2009

I have also Defragmented the PC.

Are there any other things or would doing anything else not make much of a difference.

Many thanks.

oldbeefer2 10:20 04 Jul 09

The quick way to speed things up if you have little RAM, is to install more. 'Too little' depends on what operating systems your computers have. At least 1Gb for XP and 2gb for Vista is generally considered to be OK. To check what can be fitted, use the Crucial site click here

Snrub 10:22 04 Jul 09

Have same problem and apart from running Uniblue have run same as you. Have run the PC Advisor 'Monitor your PC' which shows red alert on nearly everything but no advice on how to improve pc. Sorry this doesnt help you but I think this important thread should be kept at top of list. Has anyone found a good PC tune up package that actually works please?

Snrub 10:24 04 Jul 09

Running 1.5GB on XP so this is not my limitation.

gav223 10:50 04 Jul 09

Thanks guy's.

The PC is not that advanced, but I will be getting rid of it soon.

I will just persevere with it until then.

Many thanks.

birdface 11:21 04 Jul 09

Adaware and Spybot maybe remove one of those and put Malwarebytes free on instead.Add Winaso Optimizer [free or trial]it will only repair 10 things at a time but you can run it as often as you like.That should speed your computer up a bit.
maybe try,Command prompt.type in ipconfig /flushdns small space between ipconfig and forward slash or it will not work.it should tell you DNS cache has been flushed if so reboot and see if it works any better.
There is always Dr Tcp but I am never sure how to run it properly.
And of course you could try Driver max to see if any of your drivers are needing updated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant