Speed of modem router.

westgolf 09:32 15 Apr 09

Hi everyone, I have Tiscali broadband with their hard wired modem, it works well & has good speed.I have now purchased a wireless modem router so that I can have a laptop & the desktop pc's. The new modem router is connected - hard wire to the bt connection & the desktop & laptop are connecting wirelessly , no problems with this , but, the speed of the broadband connection is so much slower than with the original Tiscali hard wired modem.My new wireless item is a Belkin - top of the range model with latest draft N , mimo etc , & the laptop & desktop speed are no different if they are placed directly next to the new modem of in another room , also , the speed is no better if the desktop is connected via the ethernet connection ? Have I done something wrong , Thanx.

howard64 09:36 15 Apr 09

it could be the mtu value try looking in the setup page of the router it is often set at 1500 but 1458 seems better.

westgolf 14:17 17 Apr 09

Thanks for this , working at a good speed now on MTU setting ; 1458 , but, modem/router will not adjust to any speed above 1492 (it tells me this is the max available) , can you please tell me what does that mean ? also - I have just purchased a new acer laptop - but this will not connect to the internet "wirelessly" - it is fine via the ethernet - wired connection ? in network connections (wireless) it says - connected , but I just cannot connect to the internet , in tools - it is not signed as work off-line , any suggestions please , as ever - many thanks , Yo !

westgolf 15:38 17 Apr 09

I have now found another issue , even when I am connected via ethernet & the internet is working fine , when I attempt to enter My computer - or - control panel , it says , windows explorer has stopped working ? ... any ideas please ?... Tnanx.

Technotiger 15:55 17 Apr 09

I take it you are using Vista - check your Security/Firewall settings, seems like something there that Vista does not like.

westgolf 08:49 18 Apr 09

I am using vista , I have checked the settings but nothing "flags up" as being wrong ? is there some way I can work out just whats wrong ? Thanx.
I have an old laptop using xp & it works fine when connected to the modem/router - either by wireless or ethernet .I have another desktop - running vista & that also works fine , it is only the new acer laptop that has the problems.

Technotiger 09:09 18 Apr 09

Scroll right down to the end of this very long list, then work upwards. Seems to be various causes/fixes .... Good luck!

click here

westgolf 07:10 19 Apr 09

Thanx , now sorted. Laptop had picked up 9 entries of some malware, once removed in (administrator mode) - all is fine , best wishes to all. Ta !

Technotiger 07:43 19 Apr 09

Grreat, thanks for your feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…