Speed up laptop

Hetti 16:50 17 Jul 10

I have a laptop that is only used if there is a problem with regular PC, it has lots of stuff on there that will never be needed, but Im reluctant to try to set it back to factory setting as I will need to install drivers/internet/router settings and Im not sure I will be able to do that.

Is there anything else I can do to try to get it running quicker (it is quite slow)even for a spare.
I have already uninstalled redundant software/defrag/run ccleaner ect.
It is an Acer Aspire 1640 abt 4 yrs old

onthelimit 16:53 17 Jul 10

It may be short of RAM - right click My Comouter, Properties - that page will tell you haw much is installed.

onthelimit 16:56 17 Jul 10

Or even 'Computer' - why is there no edit facility still?

rdave13 17:21 17 Jul 10

Restoring to 'factory settings' will load the OS and all the drivers needed as 'out of the box' and working. Unfortunately you will have to input the router's encryption key via the 'connect to' in start-up list. If not found in the list, then right click taskbar, properties,start menu tab, customize, and tick the box for 'connect to'.
You will also need to remove the desktop trial programs, install freebie security programs and of course windows updates.
Otherwise uninstall all unwanted programs, then reboot and download Ccleaner. Run the cleaner and its reg cleaner. click here

Run a defrag program. My prefered one is my defrag; click here

Hetti 17:24 17 Jul 10

Thanks onthelimit

i just saw this post on here,
Acer Recovery issues on T135 desktop I decided to do a restore as per the ACER instructions given there.

Hope i can get the thing sorted lol
Thanks again

Clapton is God 17:24 17 Jul 10

Assuming XP, go to click here and Disable or change to Manual all those services which automatically run at startup but which you don't actually need to do so

Hetti 17:28 17 Jul 10

Thanks rdave

That is the part im dreading... the router encryption key,
i did this once before on different pc, and had problems with it.
I have the key so if i get stuck i may need to ask your advice again.

Thanks

Hetti 17:36 17 Jul 10

Hey All

I cant believe its all done seems to be working great.......

thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…