Speed Issue...

MogsyDude 22:56 22 Nov 07

Hi,

I am currently on Sky Broadband on the up to 8mb MID Package.

I have 2 computers (One Desktop and One Laptop)

My laptop is fine, I do a speedtest and i get 4.8mb (thats all my line can take I understand that)

BUTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!

My desktop is only getting 600kb! I don't have any firewalls or anything, and I know its not the line or router as my laptop is getting full speed!

I have disabled EVERYTHING from startup and still get the same, ran all the "netsh" commands you can think of!

It's a Netgear DG834GT router and the usb dongle for my desktop is a Netgear WG111v2.

Does anyone have any ideas please??

Tim1964 23:41 22 Nov 07

Have you checked that you are free of any malware and virii?

This could be using your bandwidth without you knowing.

When you say "I don't have any firewalls or anything" do you mean no antivirus or firewall software?

TonyM 09:45 23 Nov 07

You need to be methodical to work out where exactly the problem is....

Can you connect the Desktop machine to the router with an ethernet cable temporarily - if the speed is then OK it will show that the problem lies with the wireless dongle (or the software it is using).

MogsyDude 15:58 23 Nov 07

I have only just reformatted the pc and have NOTHING on there, but i will try the ethernet cable when i get home later on.

I will get back to you and let you know how i get on with it...

Thanks

Dipso 23:54 23 Nov 07

If you get much better results with an ethernet connection try TCP Optimiser from
click here Set the slider to your connection speed, click on Optimal settings and apply.

Wireless is more susceptible to interference from other sources such as DECT phones, microwaves and as I have found recently DVD players, if the above doesn't work, try relocating any nearby electrical equipment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…