Speed up downloads from Internet?

dune3 14:24 05 Jul 07

Hello, PC boffins, is there any way to speed up downloads (of any length) from the Internet? My present download speed seems to be very slow. Is download manager effective & how does it work? Help, anyone?
dune3

Belatucadrus 15:18 05 Jul 07

Download managers are useful for dial up connections as they provide more control over downloads than that provided by browsers, you can download big files in chunks at your convenience. I've never been that convinced that they actually speed things up and the advantages to be gained for a broadband user are marginal at best.

bluto1 17:13 05 Jul 07

I've been using Download Accelerator Plus for some time and it has worked very well.
I'm on Virgin broadband (up to 8MB/s) and get nowhere near that, and that's why I installed it.

bluto1 17:14 05 Jul 07

Forgot to add, it's free

dune3 10:30 06 Jul 07

Can you please "link" me onto the Download Accelerator Plus website? I'd like to try it out. I'm on Virgin Broadband myself (upto 3 MB/s) & I'm getting an accurate 3MB reading; if you go on InternetFrog.com you'll get an accurate instant reading of your broadband speed.
Belatucadrus, thanks for your thoughtful advice, I shall pass it on to my bro-in-law who's on dial-up & is having similar problems.

johnem 12:57 06 Jul 07

dune3
Thanks for the speed check link.
I use to have DAP installed, but got a few problems so removed it. I now have "Free Download Manager" installed
click here
It seems to work very well with broadband. Also gives you the opportunity to direct the downloads to specific files and will run your antivirus software to check the download.

Stuartli 13:06 06 Jul 07

I think you may be getting a little confused about download accelerators and products such as ONSpeed.

I've always used FreshDownload for downloading software etc from early dial-up times onwards - it's freeware, free of ads etc and does what it says on the tin.

With my current "up to 8MB" BB service, it notches up files downloading speeds of up to 850kbps (was around 242kbps on a 2MB service).

It will also Resume downloads if the website supports the feature and uses up to eight streams.

See:

click here

Stuartli 13:52 06 Jul 07

Your InternetFrog speed test provides download speeds readings at a third of those at Thinkbroadband or SpeedtestBBMax.

umbongo(uk) 14:01 06 Jul 07

dont forget lads you can only download as fast as you provider will let you and also, as fast a the server will allocate
most accelerators seek out other servers with the same file on and add it to the manager

so depending on what it is there may only be one server providing for all the people wanting that one file :)

next up will be are torrent,s faster or emule lol

Belatucadrus 14:08 06 Jul 07

click here for a selection and some user reviews to indicate how popular they are.

realist 14:39 06 Jul 07

I'd recommend Stardownloader (free) which I use all the time:
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5