Speed differential between 2 old PCs please ?

Tinkey Winkey 21:14 26 Apr 04

Am I likely to notice much significant difference in speed between these 2 PCs please:

1)AMD Athlon XP1500 with 256MB DDR

2)AMD Athlon 1GHZ with 256MB SDRAM

(The rest of the spec is the same for both.)

Essentially I'd like to know if it's worth paying £40 more for the Athlon XP with DDR Ram ?

Diodorus Siculus 21:49 26 Apr 04

Yes, it is worth the extra £40 - better upgrade opportunities, ddr ram is a little faster, an extra 500mhz for that price is excellent.

Whether or not you notice a difference will depend on what you use the PC for.

thedarkside 21:54 26 Apr 04

It really depends on what the PC will be mostly used for. If you are into games or image editing, the faster the machine the better. Indidently, if you intend to use Windows XP, I would recommend you up the RAM to 512MB of DDR, as XP tends to like memory.

If it were me, I would go for the XP1500 as you should see a difference. Alternatively if you can do a "hands on try before you buy" then you will see the difference before you part with your hard earned.

dfghjkl 21:56 26 Apr 04

i agree.you might not notice the differance,it depends on what you do with it.but it is worth the extra money for the upgrade potential,is it the same motherboard?

TomJerry 22:00 26 Apr 04

You will notice difference even with printing a big word document.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…